Author Topic: All Purpose WWE Divas Thread  (Read 129509 times)

Offline Code Green

• View Profile
All Purpose WWE Divas Thread
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:37:03 AM »
I was reading the Knockouts thread (which is getting a bit heated right now!  *hot), and someone mentioned that we should have a thread for the Divas.  I agree -- they are an important part of women's wrestling, like them or not.  We could use a central place to discuss their work. 

I figured I would start by bringing up Michelle v Nattie at last night's GAB.  I posted a video link and some comments last night on the youtube "catch" thread, so I won't repeat myself here. 

But what did the rest of you think?

Offline General HENkada

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • BumpLust
Re: All Purpose WWE Divas Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:56:57 AM »
Decent enough match. Simple... both go for submissions... one submission counters the other.

Offline Supreme Rebel Leader MutaKushi1301

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:07:53 PM »
Same here. The match was simple,decent, and plain. It was about not only who would become the first ever WWE Divas Champion, but it was also about who would come out on top as the best Diva on Smackdown. And I'm proud of Michelle putting on a good match with Natayla. I also got to admit that Natayla almost had that match won with that sharpshooter of hers. But in the end it was Michelle's "Heel Lock" that made the difference.  *chl

That woman's got some nice thick thighs(I recon)!!
Enter my Yearbook
Mutatron's Myspace page

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
  • Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »
Same here. The match was simple,decent, and plain. It was about not only who would become the first ever WWE Divas Champion, but it was also about who would come out on top as the best Diva on Smackdown. And I'm proud of Michelle putting on a good match with Natayla. I also got to admit that Natayla almost had that match won with that sharpshooter of hers. But in the end it was Michelle's "Heel Lock" that made the difference.  *chl

STOP USING THAT SMILEY!!!!!!!!

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 08:40:13 PM »
I figured I would start by bringing up Michelle v Nattie at last night's GAB.  I posted a video link and some comments last night on the youtube "catch" thread, so I won't repeat myself here.

Was alright, but for what they were going for it was too short to be anything worthwhile. Beth/Kelly from tonight was better.
http://kdojo.puroresufan.com/
Only English K-Dojo site

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Goonieschoice/index.php?showtopic=2527
This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:45:48 PM »
it was surprisingly good knowing michelle isn't that good but she used a somewhat underrated finisher in the brazilian heel lock
and i like how jim ross emphasized "the dangerous DNA" in natalya

Offline Code Green

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »
Beth/Kelly from tonight was better.

Just caught that one on the tube (I don't have cable, and my RAW provider is about 2 weeks delayed).  Not a bad match -- damn, I hate to give Kelly Kelly any props.  LOL  She's trying to do some decent moves, though.  I liked her backflip thing off the ropes when Beth had her arm twisted.  Wouldn't you know it, though?  A freakin headscissors. . . *yellow  At least Beth spun her around a few times. 

The final sequence looked alright, too.  It almost looked like Kelly was gonna pull the same sweet move Mickie pulled to beat Beth from that chickenwing thing Beth does, but instead we get almost a Toyota roll.   *approve

Beth looked great.  Kelly looked not bad.  I wish they had more than 5 min (with entrances), but we could say that every time, couldn't we? 

One last thing, what's with Kelly's screaming?  Does she think she's Manami??!! 

What's the ruling on TEH EVIL links in this thread? 

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 11:20:19 PM »
Kelly Kelly has looked good for a while now. Out of the divas who were pretty bad last year she has improved the most and fastest.
Only English K-Dojo site

This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline General HENkada

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • BumpLust
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 07:12:39 AM »
Divas brought in for looks and going from really bad to passable in the ring is a trend that goes back to Trish Stratus. Beth Phoenix had a good match. I have always liked everything I've seen of Beth Phoenix (I read that she kissed Santino last night... not interested in seeing that as it would ruin the "everything" part of my last statement.)

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 07:26:44 AM »

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »
Divas brought in for looks and going from really bad to passable in the ring is a trend that goes back to Trish Stratus. Beth Phoenix had a good match. I have always liked everything I've seen of Beth Phoenix (I read that she kissed Santino last night... not interested in seeing that as it would ruin the "everything" part of my last statement.)
Honestly don't think Beth started to look particularly good until the last 3 or 4 months. The kiss with Santino was actually kind of funny for the general facials and mannerism they had during it. Crowd loved it despite both being heels.
Only English K-Dojo site

Offline Code Green

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 07:51:11 AM »
Honestly don't think Beth started to look particularly good until the last 3 or 4 months. The kiss with Santino was actually kind of funny for the general facials and mannerism they had during it. Crowd loved it despite both being heels.

Yeah, I don't know where they're going with this, but it was beautifully acted by both of them.  Good for Beth.  Picture Talia in the same scene, and you'll realize what a great job Beth did with it. 

It's true that some of them do get better.  And some don't -- see  Ashley. . .

BTW, Prazak posted this link on the SHIMMER forums:  http://www.wwe.com/superstars/smackdown/michellemccool/allamericangirl/

Offline Her Majesty Queen Kori I

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • Joshi Fans
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 09:52:10 AM »
Actually, I think Beth and Santino would work great together for intergender matches.  Marella has a very, very solid background in martial arts and Beth has a solid background in grappling.  They could come up with some interesting stuff.
You so much as TOUCH kitty's ass, and I'll put a firecracker in your nutsack and blow your balls all over your pants!

Offline General HENkada

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • BumpLust
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 09:59:53 AM »
If you've seen Beth before she became the one-dimmensional, Diva-destroying Glamazon, you probably wouldn't be surprised by her ability to project some personality or emotion. Add to that, she's very athletic in the strength category and has an amateur wrestling background.

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 10:09:29 AM »
Yeah, she had great personality in Shimmer. And Danger was gushing over how she had everything in a shoot interview. The charisma, the facials, the looks, the ability, and so on and so forth.

Offline Supreme Rebel Leader MutaKushi1301

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 10:16:34 AM »
I think this will lead to a triple threat intergender match.

Beth Phoenix and Santino
vs.
Paul Burchill and Katie Lea
vs.
Mickie James and Kofi Kingston

That woman's got some nice thick thighs(I recon)!!
Enter my Yearbook
Mutatron's Myspace page

Offline Code Green

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 10:46:40 AM »
I think this will lead to a triple threat intergender match.

Beth Phoenix and Santino
vs.
Paul Burchill and Katie Lea
vs.
Mickie James and Kofi Kingston

That would actually be pretty entertaining. . .

Offline General HENkada

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • BumpLust
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 04:58:01 PM »
Yeah, she had great personality in Shimmer. And Danger was gushing over how she had everything in a shoot interview. The charisma, the facials, the looks, the ability, and so on and so forth.
Yeah, I just think the Glamazon character is kind of restrictive for her because part of the gimmick showing no emotion... aside from anger or aggression or something straightforward like that. She is way more versatile than that.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 05:48:31 PM »
Theres potential for more personality with the gimmick. WWE just never did much with it outside of bland monster.
Only English K-Dojo site

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 08:53:54 PM »
Yeah, I just think the Glamazon character is kind of restrictive for her because part of the gimmick showing no emotion... aside from anger or aggression or something straightforward like that. She is way more versatile than that.

She actually is able to show emotion in the I Quit match. She was phenomenal with the "Ask her!!" And the tone of voice she had with it and everything.

bigcat

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 09:21:03 AM »
Beth in Shimmer 1 and 2 is awesome..she is so cute, she plays the chickenshit heel amazingly well.  *bwah

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 02:09:03 AM »
the thing is in SHIMMER, her character is somewhat like a parody of the typical WWE Diva (too conscious about looks and appearance)

by the way, that kiss is classic
their facials were like "i like him/her but i don't know how to express it but a kiss is too soon".
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 02:17:02 AM by kapengmabula »

Offline conchinette

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 03:35:05 AM »
Regarding Michelle vs. Natalya - Came off as a pretty selfish performance from Michelle for me. She just threw Nattie's timing off by wanting to hit so many things quickly despite not being fluid with sequences yet. Too short too for a championship match but the action was good for five minutes.

Kelly has improved by doing more but she looks like she loses her breath quickly. I liked the match against Beth with Kelly screaming a lot to give the impression that she's really trying everything.

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 06:08:11 AM »
the thing is in SHIMMER, her character is somewhat like a parody of the typical WWE Diva (too conscious about looks and appearance)

I thought you haven't seen volumes 1 and 2 yet?

Offline General HENkada

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • BumpLust
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 07:16:16 AM »
Regarding Michelle vs. Natalya - Came off as a pretty selfish performance from Michelle for me. She just threw Nattie's timing off by wanting to hit so many things quickly despite not being fluid with sequences yet.
Natalie Neidhart's timing seems like it has been off since she debuted in Deep South Wrestling after getting her developmental deal. It's like she is at a loss for what to do between moves... unlike in Japan where that void was filled with transitions culminating in stiff lariats or German suplexes, which aren't staples of women's wrestling in WWE. A perception could be that McCool is more comfortable with what she wants/needs to do by Diva standards. That's not a knock on Natalie, but it is something I've noticed about her going back to her DSW matches... the awkward timing, that is.