Author Topic: Best matches of the 00s?  (Read 8835 times)

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
Best matches of the 00s?
« on: June 23, 2008, 08:17:15 AM »
I'm slowly making my way back into Joshi & I was wondering if anybody could pimp the best stuff from the last five years or so. I pretty much gave up on Joshi after 2001, so any help would be appreciated.

Offline JOSH Chisako

• I Live Here
  • I'm not very tall
    • View Profile
Re: Best matches of the 00s?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »
I'm slowly making my way back into Joshi & I was wondering if anybody could pimp the best stuff from the last five years or so. I pretty much gave up on Joshi after 2001, so any help would be appreciated.

The short answer to your question is to just go look for matches with Hyuga and/or Satomura involved, as a pretty big chunk of the elite matches of the last 5 years has one of those two in it.  I'll try to compile a list later...
CEE! ARR! YOU! ESS! AITCH!
OH KOO DAH
OH KOO DAH
CHEE SAK KOH
SAH CHEE KOH
(Crush Girls 2008 Remix)

Offline Coffee

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
    • View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 06:02:04 PM »
hmm, .... let me see (i would put what i remember)

meiko satomura vs aja kong
meiko satomura vs mayumi ozaki

meiko satomura vs ayako hamada
ayako hamada vs aja kong
azumi hyuga vs amazing kong
kaori yoneyama vs azumi hyuga
mariko yoshida vs atsuko emoto

azumi hyuga vs kayoko haruyama
ryo mizunami vs carlos amano
aja kong vs hiroyo matsumoto

thatdude21601

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 08:04:42 PM »
Arsion:

Yoshida wrestled Akino a few times in 02, those are fun if you like Akino vs Yoshida.

Yoshida vs Megumi Fuji from May 03, is awesome. Yoshida tries to show her mat stuff, can't handle the Judo lady, so she ends up punching her in the head. Joshi british rounds!

Oz Academy:

Oz/KAORU vs Takako/Ohmukai from August 03. It's a mess... comedy, Takako with a cattle prod, chairs, etc. Somewhere in there though the pretties try to take Oz's face off hardway, and Oz rules it whenever she's dumping blood.

AJW:

Mika Nishio vs Hikaru from November 04. Two wrestlers I expected a rookie dropkick/forearm match from. Hikaru is over, and kind of stiff...but awkard. Nishio follows Hotta around, and is the replacement singer for Kiss No Sekai. They rock is out though, like they completely hate each other. Terribly stiff, but a really nice match.

Sendai:

Aja vs Satomura from the debut show.

Kimura vs Satomura from the December 06 show. Really good match with Kimura heeling it up. They stretch Kimura's more simple offence far.

Okuda vs Nakajima & Satomura/Okuda vs Hyuga/Nakajima from late 07/early 08 are worth seeing to see the current rookies being treated as up and comers, and being at their best.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:06:27 PM by thatdude21601 »

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 07:19:39 AM »
Watched Hyuga/Haruyama.

Hyuga's developed into an asskicking veteran & a pretty decent worker. Haruyama isn't very good, but tried hard. Match is pretty much the same style Joshi's been using for the past 15 years, only not as well timed as it should be from two vets. Not bad, but not particularly good.

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 07:43:20 AM »
One more for tonight -- Yoshida vs. Emoto.

Yoshida obviously trains hard & stays in great shape, but she's starting to show her age. Emoto is a third rate AKINO & pretty bad on the mat. The match was heavily clipped, which was good since they went too long & Emoto doesn't have much of a clue. It's still fun to see Yoshida on the mat, but she was lazy with the structure. That's the type of thing that starts to go as you get older.

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 07:49:19 AM »
Satomura/Okuda vs Hyuga/Nakajima... Good match! Satomura's starting to look more and more like prime Chigusa. She takes some short cuts & still does some stupid shit like the cartwheels, but she looks legit. That Nakajima girl has a ton of talent. I was suitably impressed. Okuda is OK, but doesn't have a great build for wrestling. She did a decent job of keeping up. Hyuga is fine, but doesn't have a lot of presence. I liked this a lot. The transitions weren't the greatest, but they avoided repetition and it was stiff.

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:56:56 AM »
Satomura/Ozaki was pretty decent. Ozaki wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting, though she's unrecognisable from the worker she used to be. Satomura would be the best worker in Joshi if it wasn't for her shitty no-selling and too many dumb moves. Match was good when Ozaki wasn't using a chair or running the ropes.

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 07:49:41 AM »
Satomura/Kimura was good stuff.

I like Kimura. She plays her gimmick well & tailors her offence to match it. Meiko was Meiko, which means the majority of her work was excellent, but she made a handful of crappy decisions. Perhaps I'm being hard on her, but she's had this problem her entire career. She really needs to think less about offence and more about timing her spots. She takes over too quickly. Ignoring that, it was a good, hard fight.

There was some LLPW on TV earlier and it was bad. How has that promotion survived for 16 years?

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 09:16:37 AM »
How do you feel about deathmatches, OJ?
http://kdojo.puroresufan.com/
Only English K-Dojo site

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Goonieschoice/index.php?showtopic=2527
This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 12:24:59 AM »
I'm not a fan of death matches. Hell, I wish they would can the outside brawling spot where they whip each other into the chairs. Every single worker does that and it's so cliched. 

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 01:16:53 AM »
Figured you weren't fond of them. I ask because Kimura is also a deathmatch wrestler of the current BJW style. I agree with you about that damn chair spot, its cliche and usually too weak to mean much.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:19:34 AM by Eivion »
Only English K-Dojo site

This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 11:31:54 PM »
Okuda vs. Aja was pretty boring. Nothing we haven't seen a million times before. If the running knee is going to be Okuda's big move, she needs to get better at doing it. Cut out the variations & learn to run the ropes better. Aja's kinda going through the motions at this point & it's up to her opponent to provide the spark. Okuda had fight, but looked pretty awkward.

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 11:48:39 PM »
Okuda/Nakajima was a good juniors/young girls fight... Nakajima is the goods. Her bumping and selling made Okuda look so much better than she actually is. And Nakajima is sharp offensively as well. Perhaps the most talented rookie since Yagi, Fukawa & Momoe came into their own.

Offline J.H. - Firmly Re-Dedicated to Yoneyama!

• I Live Here
  • ALL HAIL YONEYAMA~!
    • View Profile
    • BRAVE BLOG~!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 11:56:25 PM »
From the JWP/M'SStyle Feud: The AKINO/Haruyama match is probably the first "WOW!" match from Kayoko. The fact that AKINO eats a faceplant Michinoku Driver is just another capper to this match. The whole match is counter-wrestling as they do nothing but try to counter each other which tires them both out quicker than pacing it like a normal match.

Also from 2007:
Emi Sakura v. Yoshiko Tamura (NEO)   
Tsubasa/Haruyama v. Takahashi/Taiyo (JWP)
Sakura/Tamura v. Hamada/Ito (NEO)
Ayako Hamada v. Yoshiko Tamura (NEO)
Mio Shirai/Io Shirai v. DASH Chisako/SENDAI Sachiko (From Jr. All Stars... I swear I really liked this match more than I really should've)

From 2006:
Tamura v. Hyuga (JWP v. NEO Titles)
Hyuga v. Manami Toyota (JWP)
Tamura v. Mariko Yoshida (NEO)

James
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:58:05 PM by J.H. »

Retire At 30?
Kaori Yoneyama Has Only Just Begun To Fight~!

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 12:09:15 AM »
Mio Shirai/Io Shirai v. DASH Chisako/SENDAI Sachiko (From Jr. All Stars... I swear I really liked this match more than I really should've)
Yes you did. Not that it was bad or anything, but seriously, mentioning that over the main event tag is just wrong. Your really into the idea of this sisters feud aren't you?

Only English K-Dojo site

• I Live Here
  • ALL HAIL YONEYAMA~!
    • View Profile
    • BRAVE BLOG~!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 12:25:57 AM »
Yes you did. Not that it was bad or anything, but seriously, mentioning that over the main event tag is just wrong. Your really into the idea of this sisters feud aren't you?

*gloom

Actually this predates my belief that the Shirais and Kanaris need to become blood enemies. I mean jeez, for a amtch where hte ombined experince of all 4 people is less than 6 years, that match was a lot of fun.

I still say JWP should have the Shirais and Arisa form a unit of Evil Vixens.

James

Retire At 30?

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 01:06:20 AM »
By the way , OJ. Make sure you check out Yoshida vs. Kimura 2/3 falls.
Only English K-Dojo site

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 01:30:23 AM »
By the way , OJ. Make sure you check out Yoshida vs. Kimura 2/3 falls.

I saw that awhile back. I'll have to watch it again, since current Yoshida disappoints me a little.

Watched Tamura vs. Hyuga from December '06... On the shortlist for great matches from this decade. Definitely the most competitive bout I've watched so far. The pace was relentless. I don't mind that if it's hard hitting, which it certainly was. A lot of non-Joshi fans would hate this, but they never let up and smacked each other around a ton. I dug it.

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 07:01:14 AM »
Enjoyed both of Kimura's BattlARTS matches against Toshie Uematsu and Carlos Amano, particularly the one against Amano... What a kickass single mum. It was good to see the 90s rookies still toiling away. My God does Joshi Pro age you.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 08:38:45 AM »
Enjoyed both of Kimura's BattlARTS matches against Toshie Uematsu and Carlos Amano, particularly the one against Amano... What a kickass single mum. It was good to see the 90s rookies still toiling away. My God does Joshi Pro age you.
How old are Toshie and Carlos?

And yes Kimura is great to watch when does BattlArts or is put in a serious match up. I would suggest some of her deathmatch stuff to as she's good there, but since your not fan I figure it won't do much for you. There is a normal joshi deathmatch though where she beats the crap out of fiery Natsuki*Taiyo. Its definitely something to check out.
Only English K-Dojo site

Offline ohtanisjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 09:06:36 AM »
Carlos is 32 and Toshie is 34.

I watched Yoshida/Kimura again. Definitely a good match. Maybe not up there with the best ARSION stuff, but Kimura is such a great opponent. A lot of the girls who are popular on this site have really weak strikes, but Kimura's strikes are so good. How many wrestlers have had a better big boot than Kimura? That's amazing to me. Her strikes are the glue that holds her matches together. The fact that she can pull off a counter is awesome too. Was she a death match wrestler first? I read that she failed in the business in '93 and worked in Mexico a bit in '94. If Japanese people weren't so iffy about compliments, I'd get on the livedoor and praise her.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 09:26:43 AM »
She was a trainee in FMW, but I don't think she ever made the actual roster. Irving would know more.

She definitely wasn't a deathmatch wrestler first though. Its just what got people to start noticing her back in mid 06 when she was in a mixed deathmatch at BJW. Then she had stuff like her tag team with Amazing Kong that year, and the matches with Yoshida and Meiko. There was also a good elimination tag against Emoto that was worthwhile. Wasn't the prettiest, but it was heated.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:28:22 AM by Eivion »
Only English K-Dojo site

Offline Ozmont

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 02:33:25 PM »
Kaoru Ito vs. Yumiko Hotta - Hair vs. Hair Cage Weapons Death Match 12/15/01

Ito is by far my favourite wrestler from AJW besides Tamura. Shes just so stiff, and I love her as a face here because its more fun to see the heel get the bad end of the stick. Match was stiff and had a lot of heat and drama, with their feud and having their hair on the line. The two were just relentless and werent holding back. From the wide selection of matches I have watched from that year, by far the MOTY.

フアップ

• I Live Here
  • ALL HAIL YONEYAMA~!
    • View Profile
    • BRAVE BLOG~!
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 02:54:17 PM »
Kaoru Ito vs. Yumiko Hotta - Hair vs. Hair Cage Weapons Death Match 12/15/01

Ito is by far my favourite wrestler from AJW besides Tamura. Shes just so stiff, and I love her as a face here because its more fun to see the heel get the bad end of the stick. Match was stiff and had a lot of heat and drama, with their feud and having their hair on the line. The two were just relentless and werent holding back. From the wide selection of matches I have watched from that year, by far the MOTY.

To each their own... I like the backstory to the match but nto the actual body of the match. I think their Streetfight earlier in the year was much better.

For 2001 my pick would be the Momoe/Ito 3WA title match from Odaiba W Explosion 2001. Just a great match from the get go with Momoe really showing her guts and forcing Ito to bust out the evil power arsenal. The ending sequence is fast paced and totally gives you as viewer hope that momoe will finally get the title despite he fact you already know the outcome.

James

Retire At 30?