Author Topic: Hiroyo Matsumoto: Live Happy!  (Read 66683 times)

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
  • Prowrestler
    • View Profile
Hiroyo Matsumoto: Live Happy!
« on: April 21, 2008, 06:27:33 PM »
I first noticed her in the Toyota/Kansai vs Ohata/Matsumoto, when she friggin' Saito suplexed Dynamite Kansai. I started looking for her matches and I've been so impressed. She got to show off well in that title match against Haruka Matsuo. I'm officially a mark for her after her match with Aja Kong. She shows real passion, and I love when she goes against a bigger woman because she's not as strong so she has to try her hardest to work them over before she can start on power moves. Maybe she'll make a tag team with Yuki Miyazaki called the Sexy Tanks.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:01:53 PM by "World Famous" ONI »

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
Re: Hiroyo Matsumoto
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:21:55 PM »
unfortunately, i haven't heard her entrance theme yet
but that match she had against aja kong also got me marking out for her
the first match of hers that i ever saw was against hanako kobayashi (i forgot from which fed and the date as well)
i noticed that she almost often used the torture rack then converting it later into a back breaker
i love the power she often infused in her matches
and she's pretty tall among the juniors

Offline UnstableProtagonist

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • http://demeteriusstevens.blogspot.com/
Re: Hiroyo Matsumoto: Worst Entrace Theme Ever!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 10:25:54 AM »
The first Hiroyo Matsumoto match I saw was around the winter of '07. It was a tag match that took place at the recently defunct Jd'.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »
sometimes i think that yoshida and aja made a deal wherein if yoshida gave the push to ohata, aja would give the push to hiroyo which makes sense coz with the potential of hiroyo of becoming the next big thing when it comes to power-wrestling, she better be guided by the stiffest of them all: aja

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:03:40 PM »
She could be the next Nanae, to where she's not quite the size of a monster heel, but she's big enough to throw her weight around and still be able to walk the ropes.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 07:54:51 PM »
bookers might take advantage of the fact that she's tall in order to have her booked as a monster heel
i wonder if she's as tall as mita or jumbo hori perhaps

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:09:19 PM »
How tall is Matsumoto anyway? Anyone know her height?

Offline twisted

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 03:30:22 AM »
I'm most sure she's 167 cm, so she's not really Jumbo Hori's size, but considering how small the average joshi worker is nowadays I'd say she's tall.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
I'm most sure she's 167 cm, so she's not really Jumbo Hori's size, but considering how small the average joshi worker is nowadays I'd say she's tall.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

SWIFT made this.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 03:23:39 PM »
i saw she's tall whenever she comes close to aja in that same match and she's just a few inches taller

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 03:46:55 PM »
Yoshida looks a bit taller in that photo or maybe it's just me...

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 06:12:35 PM »
She seems to be slightly kneeling.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 06:26:02 PM »
was that pic of her with yoshida from the french tour?

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 05:51:48 PM »
after a few replays, i considered hiroyo's entrance theme to be somewhat bland, not that bad but it can't be labeled good either

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 07:10:21 AM »
I love when she and Okuda go at it because both hit so hard.

Offline luckycleareyes

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 08:16:12 AM »
Matsumoto just celebrated her 2nd Anniversary in pro wrestling today.

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 08:30:23 AM »
Matsumoto just celebrated her 2nd Anniversary in pro wrestling today.

DANG!!! Man what is going on there are soo many girls who are getting so good so fast. Like Matsuo's still green and she's been doing it for 7+ years, but you have girls like the Shirai's, the Sendai Girls, Arisa, Ohata, Cherry, and Hiroyo who are leagues better and have been wrestling for a 1/4th of the time.

Offline luckycleareyes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 10:03:02 AM »
DANG!!! Man what is going on there are soo many girls who are getting so good so fast. Like Matsuo's still green and she's been doing it for 7+ years, but you have girls like the Shirai's, the Sendai Girls, Arisa, Ohata, Cherry, and Hiroyo who are leagues better and have been wrestling for a 1/4th of the time.

It depends on the system they're in. Most of the men involved in promoting Joshi pro wrestling (an industry often described as "very weird" by Japanese wrestling fans) still cling like many of the old 1980s Joshi internet fans do to the old system of doing dropkicks for 5 years, then getting a 3 year push and retiring at 25. Back when Pro Wrestling as a whole was much more popular.

Whereas people like Mariko know that this system is no longer sustainable. Even Satomura, who has stuck more to the old formula as far as training goes understand that these girls need to be injected into the scene right away. 15 years ago Matsumoto probably wouldn't have even gotten anything above a jobber match this far in her career...

I spoke to Manami Toyota last winter about the new girls and who she liked. The list was what you would expect - Arisa, Kurihara, Shibutani, Natsuki with some surprises (I thought) like Aoi Kizuki and Aya Yuki. Obviously she wasn't going to bury anybody, but she hadn't seen the 2008 Almanac yet and asked to look through mine. She made what I thought was a disapproving sound when she saw the only two joshi personalities on the cover were Fuka and Yinling.

She also was shocked to see Kyoko Inoue's signature on her photo as it was the night after her return show for NEO. She was like "Kyoko's back???"

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 10:17:34 AM »
 *saywhat *saywhat ....man I gotz ta go to Japan. I'd love to meet her. But I can see Aya Yuki having potential off in the future. I see sparks of brilliance in her, but she needs time to harness it. She really works an 80's style(Aya Yuki that is) IMO. I like Aoi Kazuki's gimmick of an overly happy almost Elmira(Tiny Toons) person, who just happens to stiff the hell out of every opponent, and isn't afraid to do some heeling(pulling hair and whatnot.) She and Nozaki went straight for that big guy in the Battle Royal.

Matsuo would be better if she did some more cardio work. If she went to Ibuki I'm sure Yoshida's be working her like a horse to get her cardio up. Like I'm sure she did with Hiroyo and her strength training.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »
Like Matsuo's still green and she's been doing it for 7+ years, but you have girls like the Shirai's, the Sendai Girls, Arisa, Ohata, Cherry, and Hiroyo who are leagues better and have been wrestling for a 1/4th of the time.
I'm not the highest on Matsuo, but WTF man. She looks no where near green. There just isn't any real life or presence in her wrestling. She needs to put some real personality into her style. And its really bs to to make such a statement and then go on to praise the Shirais (who are starting to get overrated) and Ohata (who I like a lot). The three show potential, but thats it right now. You can see the greeness in them fairly often. And as much as I like Cherry she really isn't that good.
http://kdojo.puroresufan.com/
Only English K-Dojo site

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Goonieschoice/index.php?showtopic=2527
This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 10:31:44 AM »
Like Matsuo's still green and she's been doing it for 7+ years, but you have girls like the Shirai's, the Sendai Girls, Arisa, Ohata, Cherry, and Hiroyo who are leagues better and have been wrestling for a 1/4th of the time.
I'm not the highest on Matsuo, but WTF man. She looks no where near green. There just isn't any real life or presence in her wrestling. She needs to put some real personality into her style. And its really bs to to make such a statement and then go on to praise the Shirais (who are starting to get overrated) and Ohata (who I like a lot). The three show potential, but thats it right now. You can see the greeness in them fairly often. And as much as I like Cherry she really isn't that good.

I think Cherry's good. And yes those girls are green, but they're consistently putting on better performances than her. You can constantly see her getting tuckered out, or outstiffed.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 04:33:20 AM »

I agree,
Shuu had the same problem with livelyness but they sent her to Mexico and it all worked out, lol.

I don't see how anyone could put the Shirai Sisters over Matsuo tho, at least Matsuo's matches don't look like clusters of moves with no flow.

BTW: Hiroyo's C&C Music Factory theme rules.

SWIFT made this.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 05:20:54 AM »
It depends on the system they're in. Most of the men involved in promoting Joshi pro wrestling (an industry often described as "very weird" by Japanese wrestling fans) still cling like many of the old 1980s Joshi internet fans do to the old system of doing dropkicks for 5 years, then getting a 3 year push and retiring at 25. Back when Pro Wrestling as a whole was much more popular.

which is the good thing about modern joshi. it's no longer an issue of seniority or how many years have you been in the business (a.k.a. "paying your dues") as long as you have the talent and the personality to go along with it.

Whereas people like Mariko know that this system is no longer sustainable. Even Satomura, who has stuck more to the old formula as far as training goes understand that these girls need to be injected into the scene right away. 15 years ago Matsumoto probably wouldn't have even gotten anything above a jobber match this far in her career...

like the push she's giving to okuda and mizunami which bore good fruits thru great matches. mizunami is one leg-dropping machine while okuda's a sucker for enziguris

I spoke to Manami Toyota last winter about the new girls and who she liked. The list was what you would expect - Arisa, Kurihara, Shibutani, Natsuki with some surprises (I thought) like Aoi Kizuki and Aya Yuki. Obviously she wasn't going to bury anybody, but she hadn't seen the 2008 Almanac yet and asked to look through mine. She made what I thought was a disapproving sound when she saw the only two joshi personalities on the cover were Fuka and Yinling.

aoi kizuki is good IMO since although ELPS noted that her gimmick is reminiscent of Elmyra, i think she's more like Gotham City's Joker, the kind of person who would only be too happy to beat the crap out of you. she is all smiles and very jolly while pulling hair, kicking crap and breaking necks.

happy 2nd anniversary to hiroyo. if she's been in the industry for just 2 years and her matches would be THIS great, better things are coming for her. just in case she gets booked again for the NEO double titles, i hope she wouldn't get buried

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 07:05:25 AM »

I agree,
Shuu had the same problem with livelyness but they sent her to Mexico and it all worked out, lol.

I don't see how anyone could put the Shirai Sisters over Matsuo tho, at least Matsuo's matches don't look like clusters of moves with no flow.

BTW: Hiroyo's C&C Music Factory theme rules.

I liked her in her match against Nanae and the Nanae/Matsuo vs Kong/Kimura,, but she still hasn't lived up to those performances. She has no cardio and as you said no life in her matches.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 10:25:14 AM »
someone could be HBK'ing her, lol.

SWIFT made this.