Author Topic: Tons of 70s/80s women's wrestling  (Read 8346 times)

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
  • Prowrestler
    • View Profile
Tons of 70s/80s women's wrestling
« on: April 19, 2008, 12:44:48 PM »
Found this youtube channel. http://youtube.com/user/WrestleDazzle
Tons of good stuff. Even found JBA vs Glamour Girls 2/3 falls from the inaugural Royal Rumble.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
Re: Tons of 70s/80s women's wrestling
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
i already saw that channel
i almost subscribed to it
but the interest wasn't as intense as that in joshi (unless you're a die hard sherri martel fan)

i laughed my ass off at one card: sensational sherri vs killer tomato

Offline Mizztrezz

• I Live Here
  • YouTube 女子プロレス LEGEND!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 03:47:46 PM »
I've subbed to that channel too, little bit of everything, and I love (and totally miss) Sherri, so he's got some good stuff. 
http://www.youtube.com/user/DoubleMiz
http://www.veoh.com/users/Ringmistress
Twitter: @Double_Miz
Always have been, always will be McMahon-free zones

Offline UnstableProtagonist

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • http://demeteriusstevens.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:01:50 PM »
Hmm, it's worth checking out when I have the time.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 06:55:02 PM »
it's really worth checking out especially if you're a big fan of sherri

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 04:33:54 PM »
Or of the most forgotten generation of womens' wrestling.

SWIFT made this.

tomfox61

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 08:58:05 AM »
In the United States, the problem with women's wrestling has been one of perspective and the obvious issue of management/promotion. Many states prohibited women from wrestling at various times because culturally women wrestling was linked with deviant interests and not seen as an expression of athleticism. Some school districts still battle women's freestyle wrestling here in the states.

The peak period of women's wrestling in the US lasted between 1944 and 1977, when Mildred Burke claimed the title and Penny Banner retired. The decline has been steady, though there have been momentary sparks of interest and revitalization. In my opinion two very underrated women wrestler's Malia Hosaka and the Aussie-born Susan Sexton are perfect examples of women who could have been pushed to greater success.

These women possessed wrestling skills, but development suffered because of  the continuation of its carny traditions that allowed a bloated and aged Moolah to own the McMahon title as wrestling moved from regionalism to a monopoly.

The Grand Inquisiteur

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 08:03:08 PM »
Ya'know tomfox61, the more I read your input the more impressed I become with your state of mind about this enterprise.  You do seem to have the grasp of it all and render your views in a comprehensible way that manifests a degree of knowledge that normally comes with some years of discovery.

Thus, I think your comments are dead on!  No doubt, the Burke and Banner days were the best in the US in terms of ladies wrestling, as was the 90's in Japan.  Ol'Vince came along here in the 80's and canned Wendi Richter and things went downhill from there in a major way and with Burke passing away in 89, a dark cloud descended over ladies wrestling in the US that only recently seems to be abating. 

Moolah for all her efforts did seem to run beyond her relevance to the quality of the exercise and in the end, did seem as out of place in the ring as I would be.  A little sad to see it played that way, but that's Ol'Vince at work and we pay the price.    *gloom

joshi44ever

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 06:29:22 PM »
About 1980's joshi .l was just watching dump and her gang going against Crush Gals, J.B.A's, Yokota&Masami. They were a great heel faction and had awesome matches.

jaguaryokota2

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »
i'd like to know if someone has the match nancy kumi vs yuriko takagai the last match for both girls.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:06:57 AM »
In the United States, the problem with women's wrestling has been one of perspective and the obvious issue of management/promotion. Many states prohibited women from wrestling at various times because culturally women wrestling was linked with deviant interests and not seen as an expression of athleticism. Some school districts still battle women's freestyle wrestling here in the states.

The peak period of women's wrestling in the US lasted between 1944 and 1977, when Mildred Burke claimed the title and Penny Banner retired. The decline has been steady, though there have been momentary sparks of interest and revitalization. In my opinion two very underrated women wrestler's Malia Hosaka and the Aussie-born Susan Sexton are perfect examples of women who could have been pushed to greater success.

These women possessed wrestling skills, but development suffered because of  the continuation of its carny traditions that allowed a bloated and aged Moolah to own the McMahon title as wrestling moved from regionalism to a monopoly.

I was totally trying to explain the first part in the shout box but didn't do a very good job.
Totally agree on Hosaka. I've seen very little of Sexton.

And of course a big part of the decline after Burke was Burke's lengthy reign, the nature of said reign (married to Wolfe) and her divorce from Wofle including the fallout and the pimp (sometimes literal) mindset promoters of womens' wrestling had.

I find most fans don't know the history of the pimping and all that and because of that there's little understanding of. ..certain things.

SWIFT made this.

!CUTYˇ

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 07:11:27 PM »
i'd like to know if someone has the match nancy kumi vs yuriko takagai the last match for both girls.
Would this be in the original JWP?

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 07:36:06 PM »
Would this be in the original JWP?

I'm afraid all the people that could answer this question no longer post. But I would like to know. Kumi went to JWP after forced retirement?

SWIFT made this.

!CUTYˇ

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 09:19:18 PM »
Ya. Her, Jackie Sato, Rumi Kazama and Shinobu Kandori started it up.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
Ya. Her, Jackie Sato, Rumi Kazama and Shinobu Kandori started it up.

Ah. I always forget about Kumi. I know she was a fairly big deal in AJW and one of the top women. Once again, mandatory retirement cuts the legs off a really good wrestler.

I need to see more Nancy Kumi.

SWIFT made this.