Author Topic: Manami Toyota  (Read 171603 times)

Offline TasotheGreek

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Manami Toyota
« Reply #1025 on: April 29, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »
And "workrate" is an undefined smark term that is equally subjective.

Not to quibble, but the term workrate was co-opted by smarks to make themselves seem more "smart"...it actually comes from the boys in the back who wanted to seperate themselves from the "less-is-more" old style psychology by saying that they have a "high workrate" style.

But leave it to smarks to....you know what, I'm not even going to finish that staement because this is a thread to praise Toyota and not piss on the worthless

cool, you learn something new everyday

Offline 22nijuni

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 29, 2011, 10:02:35 PM »
l know alot of you at joshifans went along and saw Manami wrestle and had photos with her after the show. those who met her could you tell us who live in Madison Eagles land a bit about her. maybe l'm completely wrong but manami comes across as the shy type of person, or does she let her hair down and cut loose at after show get together's ?
I'll tell my experience. Manami has been my favorite wrestler, men or women, since I first saw her on videotapes.

When i was living in Japan, I had a chance to rent many videos of All Japan Women, and I copied everything that I could. I ended up making a Manami tape of my favorite matches. Then I got the chance to see her wrestle a few times in Tokyo, and I gave her a copy of the tape I made, and she was very cool about it. She insisted I take a few free 8 x 10s of her, even though I tried to give her money she wouldnt take it. Very nice of her, she didnt have to do that.

So after that experience, i set about collecting as much video footage as I could, and I started making a DVD set. As of now, this set is 67 DVDs of Manami from her very first day of audition in Jan 1987, thru 2003 in GAEA. As a wrestling fan, my dream was to give Manami a copy of this set. I had the DVDs in an album, with all the matches listed for each DVD. I had 3 copies like this, one for me, on for Manami and I gave a set to SDR.

So I was all set to give this to Manami at the Chikara shows. I knew I would have just a moment or two to give them to her and say a couple words about it to her and then i would have to move along for the next customer in line. And that was fine, I just wanted to give it to her.

I arrived in Philly to our hotel early Friday morning (I flew a red eye flight overnight) and i arrived too early to check in, so I had to wait for a couple hours in the lobby. I was just sitting there on my laptop, and noticed Shinzaki, Dick Togo and another Japanese man with them, and they went up the elevator. A few moments later I realized that the other guy was The Great Sasuke without his mask. Kind of neat moment to myself.

As i sat there, i noticed someone walk by and it was Manami! She was staying at our hotel. Now, i could have just let her be, but this was my dream. So i approached her and said "Sumimasen!" and she turned around and stopped, and we exchanged pleasantries, I told her I was a fan of her wrestling and that I had some gifts for her at the show. I asked if I could have a photo and she said yes. My phone took a fuzzy picture, and she asked if I had a camera, which i did, and I said I would wait until she came back inside if she liked. So she went outside and I was able to go into my suitcase and get the DVD album and the dolls that Shuper had made.

When she came back in, I showed her the DVD set and she was honestly taken aback that I had compiled a set that took me literally 5 years to make. She went thru every page of the album with me and was smiling and excited about the matches. She said she didn't have any of this stuff, so she was happy. She also loved the doll that Shuper made for her and signed one for him. THen we took a picture together and one of her with her doll. Then she went upstairs in the elevator.
That for me, as a wrestling fan, was one of the greatest moments I could have ever imagined.

Not long after, Mike Quackenbush came to pick her up and the Michinoku guys. Manami came back inside and went back upstairs, I was trying not to glance, but you know, you can't help it when one of your heroes is there. She came back down and gave me a pair of socks!! They have a Samurai on them, I am assuming she was giving them to her friends as gifts, she had a bag with more of them...but she gave me a pair! She didn't have to, but it was so cool of her to do that! These are forever my lucky pair of socks that i will wear for anything important.

The next day at the 2nd show of the weekend, I bought some pictures from her and we took a pic with the banner that Shuper designed. and She signed the banner.

Well after the show that night, Hyperion and I ended up going to a bar with SouthSide Mike, that other fans were going to and some wrestlers. It was an unofficial afterparty. After about an hour, there was some rumbling and someone said Sasuke was there, and Manami. After they had been there for a while, we went to the area, Hyperion had a friend of his that was the interpreter for Manami and Sasuke, so he was speaking to her and I said what the heck, I asked Manami "Nani nomu?" and she said Hello, and she was drinking vodka and orange juice. So i asked her if she wanted another and she said yes. So i got to buy my hero a drink! I gave her the drink and we did "kanpai!"and she asked me if we could get another pic the with the banner at the next show, because she wanted a pic for herself! As i was leaving her area, I asked her if i could have a hug and she gave me one :)

So yes, I'm marking out for my own personal highlight as a wrestling fan. I don't know what else could compare for me personally. She was in good spirits at the bar, speaking to fans and wrestlers and having a good time.

She's the greatest of all time  *approve

Here are my Manami socks, a few minutes after she gave them to me.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:04:26 PM by 22nijuni »
Favorite Wrestlers
1. Act Yasukawa
2. Kairi Hojo
3. Io Shirai

Offline shupercousin

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
  • JFW Owner & Booker
    • View Profile
    • Hiroyo Matsumoto English Fansite!
« Reply #1027 on: April 30, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »
@22nijuni:

She sounded so down to earth, and the fact that you made such a tremendous impression on her with your DVD set that made her dig out a present for you from her luggage, is just amazing!  *hee

I'm sure it must be a once in a lifetime moment kind of thing, so lucky! Good thing you got to the hotel early!  *bwah

No.1 Hiroyo Matsumoto English Fansite: http://www.hiroyo-matsumoto.com

Offline luckycleareyes

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 30, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »

I arrived in Philly to our hotel early Friday morning (I flew a red eye flight overnight) and i arrived too early to check in, so I had to wait for a couple hours in the lobby. I was just sitting there on my laptop, and noticed Shinzaki, Dick Togo and another Japanese man with them, and they went up the elevator. A few moments later I realized that the other guy was The Great Sasuke without his mask. Kind of neat moment to myself.

As i sat there, i noticed someone walk by and it was Manami! She was staying at our hotel. Now, i could have just let her be, but this was my dream. So i approached her and said "Sumimasen!" and she turned around and stopped, and we exchanged pleasantries, I told her I was a fan of her wrestling and that I had some gifts for her at the show...

That is some "blessed by the wrestling gods moment" if I ever read one.

Just sitting in the lobby with gifts to give Toyota, and who walks by...?

Amazing.

Offline King of Joshi

• I Live Here
  • Dark Unicorn and Black Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 30, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »
Here's a full report of the dinner she had on her first trip here: http://www.diva-dirt.com/2010/09/21/diva-dirt-meets-manami-toyota-full-report-and-qa-highlights/

I'll say she's very nice, gracious, regal, beautiful, queenly, happy, friendly, and pretty much everything else wonderful. She also loves to drink!

I'm waiting for someone on that comments box to say something like, "what is so great about this jap, McCool would destroy her".

Actually DD and its fans are typically very respectful of Joshi and their accomplishments. Wish the same could be said of every place. In fact, if you crunched the numbers, you'd probably find the visiting Joshi have had more DD fans/staff show up for them than any other place.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 02:03:18 PM by King of Joshi »

Warning: Comment may be deleted by walking chode.

joshi44ever

« Reply #1030 on: April 30, 2011, 08:02:12 PM »
22nijuni
thanks so much for your story. it's fans like you and all joshifans forum people who go to the shows when they visit.u.s.a and show them just how much we love there work and effect these women put into each show. when l move to japan in september it is going to be my goal to meet Manami . lts great to read such a positive story about one of your heroes and l'm glad they know we do really care about them. l go on this site everyday even though( l don't comment too much )to see whats happening and l can feel the "love" that everyone has for joshi. thank you 22nijuni for sharing you memories with us all.

Offline 22nijuni

• View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 30, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
22nijuni
thanks so much for your story. it's fans like you and all joshifans forum people who go to the shows when they visit.u.s.a and show them just how much we love there work and effect these women put into each show. when l move to japan in september it is going to be my goal to meet Manami . lts great to read such a positive story about one of your heroes and l'm glad they know we do really care about them. l go on this site everyday even though( l don't comment too much )to see whats happening and l can feel the "love" that everyone has for joshi. thank you 22nijuni for sharing you memories with us all.
Thanks for the kind words. I have no doubt you will love living in Japan. I lived there for 6 years and things are moving towards me living there again next year. Some of the board members have been to Japan several times and even plan on moving there themselves.
I'm sure if you visit the board a lot, you'll notice that it's rare that we all get along, but you will always find someone that can answer any of your questions.
King of Joshi is up to date with all the latest joshi happenings and all things Kana.
Lucky Clear Eyes always has the latest joshi news.
Starscream is an afficionado for 70's and 80's wrestling, she loves that period.
RudoCousin is a Hiroyo Matsumoto expert.
World Famous Oni always has an opinion on everything! :) And he loves ice Ribbon and sake
Nagashimark obviously loves Nagashima, and he has lots of knowledge on Pro Wrestling Eve as well as joshi
ELPS is like a walking encyclopedia

Keep coming back and don't be afraid to post more. We'd enjoy it.
Favorite Wrestlers
1. Act Yasukawa
2. Kairi Hojo
3. Io Shirai

Offline kudofanatic

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 01, 2011, 08:04:38 AM »
I hope to meet Manami in Dec/Jan when I go to Japan for the 1st time!!
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs153.snc4/36997_1499846226227_1536320446_31219549_1866481_n.jpg

MEGUMI KUDO - "Evil Princess" & "Extreme Queen"

KANA - "Joshi Queen of STIFFNESS"

MANAMI TOYOTA - "The Legend"

TRIPLE TAILS - "Joshi's version of the Triple Threat"

Offline King of Joshi

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 01, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »

Offline Suben

• Teenage Wildlife
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 01, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »
That was pretty interesting to read, I got a kick out of her answers about wanting to face Yamada in the future and beat her since obviously in hindsight those are pretty amusing.

Offline King of Joshi

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: August 18, 2011, 03:28:32 PM »

YES!

mpedmon

« Reply #1036 on: September 20, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah *approve *Oni* test2

Damn, Manami.....smoking...

Offline mattw1970

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 21, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »
Anyone  have the Highspots Toyota set  or any other  multi disc  set of the best of Toyota ?  PLEASE  PM me if you can help me  out

thank you

Matt