Author Topic: James Wong to Direct Live-action Dragon Ball Z - and casting break down  (Read 4426 times)

Offline His Majesty King Maxpower I

• Administrator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
    • No Brand Wrestling - Efed
CHUD has learned from a casting notice that James Wong ("Final Destination" films, The One, "The X-Files") is writing and directing the live action Dragon Ball Z movie for 20th Century Fox. The site has included the casting breakdown, which you can read here.

Dragon Ball Z is adapted from the manga created by Akira Toriyama; the work was also turned into a Japanese anime series that played all over the world. It tells the story of an alien sent to destroy Earth, who has a change of heart and decides to join the humans in their fight against various aliens and bad guys.

The film is expected to start production in Montreal in November.
====

An old and trusted scooper named Tailgunner Joe has just dropped some info into my lap, and after taking a spin around Google, I'm convinced it's news: James Wong, formerly of The X-Files and the man behind Final Destination and The One, is writing and directing the live action version of Dragon Ball, which is going to go into production in Canada this November.

Included with the scoop was this casting breakdown; I know jack nor shit about Dragon Ball (is there supposed to be a Z in there?) or the characters, so it's up to you to figure out if what Wong et al are looking for fit the anime bill.

[GOKU] 18 years old, Goku is considered uncool and unpopular at school, but he is in fact an extremely talented martial arts fighter who gets rigorous training from his grandfather, Gohan. After the death of his grandfather by the evil Lord Piccolo, Goku finds his destiny in his grandfather's dying request that he find Master Roshi and gather all seven Dragon Balls (of which he has one) in order to prevent Piccolo from succeeding in his desire to use the dragonballs to take over the world. Trained by Master Roshi, aided by Bulma and Yamcha, friends he meets along the way, Goku proves himself a formidable, almost undefeatable fighter. On many dangerous adventures to find the remaining Dragon Balls and thus save the world, Goku conquers physical and emotional challenges, ultimately saving the world but clearly impelled to spend his life searching for the Dragon Balls with his trusty companions...LEAD

[BULMA] 20s, female, pretty, with great intelligence behind her gleaming eyes, Bulma is a determined, competitive young woman whose father's five star Dragon Ball was stolen by Lord Piccolo, and who believes that she can harness their unlimited energy and change the world like Edison or Einstein. Bulma, who has a DBE (a Dragon Ball locator device), teams up with Goku, and with him meets up with Master Roshi and Yamcha as they attempt to collect the missing Dragon Balls before Piccolo can destroy the world. A resourceful and courageous young woman who's also a weapons expert, she overcomes many obstacles with her colleagues, only to find the seven Dragon Balls ultimately snatched from their grasp--but it's clear she's going to continue searching for them with Goku and Yamcha...LEAD

[YAMCHA] 20s, "the bad boy who has no trouble attracting women," he taunts Goku, Bulma and Master Yoshi, who are trapped in a sand cave, rather than helping them with his rope ladder. However, after overhearing Master Roshi's tale of Piccolo once nearly destroyed the Earth and are preparing to do so again, Yamcha has a change of heart and not only helps the three in the desert, but becomes a valuable part of the team. An ingenious young man whose utililty truck is the Swiss Army Knife of trucks--every tool and gear imaginable sprouts from its body--Yamcha joins Goku, Bulma (with whom he becomes romantically involved) and Master Yoshi on their quest to find the seven Dragon Balls before Piccolo...LEAD

[MASTER ROSHI] This older man is a good friend of Goku's grandfather, Gohan, and Goku comes to enlist his help after his grandfather is killed. Although he looks like a beggar, Roshi is one of the world’s most fearsome fighters. Master Roshi begins Goku's rigorous training to prepare him for the adventure of finding and fighting for the seven Dragon Balls to save the world from Piccolo's destructive plan. A wise, somewhat wry man who knows as much about human nature as he does about martial arts, Master Roshi is impressed with Goku's fighting but reminds him of his failings as well. Ultimately, Master Roshi sacrifices his own life in order to destroy Piccolo...LEAD

[MAI] Late 20s, female, her features exotic, sexy but deadly, dressed in gleaming black, with weapons strapped all over her body, she's a martial arts expert and Lord Piccolo's chief enforcer. Crafty and quick thinking, Mai uses her ability to shapeshift near the climax of the movie and takes on the form of Chi Chi, a young martial arts expert who's romantically involved with Goku and later saves Piccolo from Master Roshi's curse; once she is revealed she ends up in the fight of her life.

[LORD PICCOLO] An ancient being who despite his humanoid appearance, is from an alien race determined to take over the world. Piccolo is the cursed ruler of a demonic race who nearly destroyed Earth 2000 years ago, and with the coming of the eclipse and the possession of all seven Dragon Balls, he's prepared to free himself and do the job right this time. Crafty and smart, Piccolo has some disturbing news for Goku, namely that the boy is actually a Saiyan who's destined to join Piccolo as his right hand in destroying and enslaving the planet...LEAD

[CHI CHI] Goku’s lifelong love interest, Chi Chi is an attractive, tom boy-ish young woman who has grown up with Goku. She has studied martial arts and has always suspected that Goku possesses talents that are unusual and extraordinary. After Goku embarks on his journey to redeem his grandfather’s death, Chi Chi meets up with Goku and his crew at a tournament of champions where their mutual attraction finally heats up during a training session.

[GOHAN] Goku's kindly, wise grandfather, he looks like he's in his 70s but moves like Jet Li. An accomplished martial artist who trains Goku on the bow staff, he loves his grandson and is happy to prepare a special feast for him on his 18th birthday, as well as a special gift: a 3 star Dragon Ball. Tragically, Gohan is struck down by the high ninjas of the Namek-Jins, and as he dies he sends his grandson out to do face his destiny and do battle against them...

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
  • My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
    • View Profile
Re: James Wong to Direct Live-action Dragon Ball Z - and casting break down
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
So yeah thats gonna suck for me. Really wish they didn't try to change so much like Goku's age and him going to school.
http://kdojo.puroresufan.com/
Only English K-Dojo site

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Goonieschoice/index.php?showtopic=2527
This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

• Administrator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 04:14:33 PM »
So yeah thats gonna suck for me. Really wish they didn't try to change so much like Goku's age and him going to school.
Purpose is to bring about a new story in the middle of the DB and DBZ sagas. Without treading over certain pieces of information. Supposedly someone that Goku meets later in life, will show up in the movie and have a key role before they meet again later on. Some have said this is one of the baddies that Goku beat in the future, others say it's possibly Buu or Baby.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:43:39 PM »
*has e-seiziure* ;)

SWIFT made this.

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
  • Different Gimmick, Same Pervert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 10:04:19 AM »
I smell stink like the "Fist of the North Star" live action turd....
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

• Administrator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »
Goku was never 18? Lol. I mean he was a kid in DRagon Ball... pretty sure not 18... so im confused what the story will be. But who cares. It's DRAGON BALL Z!

Offline DANgerous K

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:16:51 AM »
Ah. Didn't want it to be Piccolo as the bad guy.  But I suppose you can save vegeta and the saiyans for a possible sequel.  Knowing how they always mangle adaptions, because you know, they are MOVIE makes and THEY KNOW BEST and all that rubbish, I think this sounds like a better concept than it might have done.  It CANT be worse than the Transformers movie, which is something else that I really wanted to be made.  Damn you Michael Bay...
I may drop you on your head

Offline Her Majesty Queen Kori I

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • Joshi Fans
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 11:18:08 AM »
I LIKED the Transformers movie!
You so much as TOUCH kitty's ass, and I'll put a firecracker in your nutsack and blow your balls all over your pants!

Offline DANgerous K

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
Thats fair enough but I really hatorz it.  I'm a total transformers nerd though and so much of it seemed crap to me and the tone seemed really off like the whole film was just random segments stuck together loosely. I'd read all the reviews and thought I would like it.   :'(

• Administrator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 11:34:30 AM »
Transformers movie was like the best move made... in years :)

I just watched it in IMAX
if you're a true fan... IT IS A MUST!

As for DBZ. The sequel ideas are Freiza saga and Andriod Saga.

This current movie is a bit along the lines of the World fighter tournaments.

Offline Her Majesty Queen Kori I

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • Joshi Fans
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 11:36:29 AM »
I loved Transformers as a kid.

The movie made me cry when they all came to the rescue at the end.

I'm such a weenie. :(
You so much as TOUCH kitty's ass, and I'll put a firecracker in your nutsack and blow your balls all over your pants!

• Administrator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 12:02:32 PM »
Yes you are/were.

I remember... lol.

But then again.. it was a nice finish. And touching after being a fan as a lil kid.

Offline DANgerous K

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 12:39:12 PM »
Man, I'm really glad some fans liked it. But for me it was the biggest dissapointment ever.  I feel like going on a rant about all the bits that I thought were sh*t.   ;D 
It seems like it was a pretty divisive movie though.  This has been a REALLY bad year of so for movies as far as I'm concerned.  The best thing by a bit has been the last Bourne film.

• Administrator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 12:47:16 PM »
PFT.
You have BAD Taste, lol.

Die Hard IV --- Beat out that stupid Bourne shiat! lol.

Offline DANgerous K

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 12:50:38 PM »
Heh, I had forgotten about DH 4.  Yeah that was pretty good fun, except for the slightly flat ending (like the last five minutes) and the fact that his fight with that annoying flippy guy should have had a bit more sh*t kicking in it  ;D

Offline LUKIE

• View Profile
    • BatiBati Cafe
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 08:49:56 PM »
If they make this as an M->MA movie, and how Dragonball was supposed to be for adults, it would work.

If they are going to fuck it up and make it for kids, then just like the shit American anime version, they can go fuck themselves.
Bati Bati Cafe!
Part of the SSS network

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 01:09:21 AM »
I LIKED the Transformers movie!
Its nice not to be alone in that. It had its problems, but i enjoyed it over. I expect some to be happier wiht the second since it sounds like Micheal Bay won't be involved.

http://kdojo.puroresufan.com/
Only English K-Dojo site

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Goonieschoice/index.php?showtopic=2527
This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 12:39:21 AM »
*has live-action seizure*

I really don't know what to think.

SWIFT made this.

Sagat

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 03:42:40 AM »
 *stress
Well, I realy, REALY hope, that they don't do a dumb adaption in some hotsy-totsy tennie-style as the "Karate-Kid" franchise.