Author Topic: Talk about Matches here!!!  (Read 221747 times)

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
  • My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
    • View Profile
Re: Talk about Matches here!!!
« Reply #1100 on: January 25, 2014, 01:06:00 AM »
That Stardom show was clipped to hell. The final matches were missing decent chunks that could really either add a lot or take way a lot in full.

Yoshiko/Kagetsu vs. Nanae/Meiko didn't look too bad, but it seemed like a far cry from the 2012 tag where the younger wrestlers teamed against Meiko and Aja. The comedy/lighter stuff in the early going took away a bit, and I think Kagetsu failed to truly assert herself during the final segment. Yoshiko was fine and the later action was good. Still 7 minutes missing from a 20 minute tag is a lot.

Arisa/Io is missing a good 12 minutes which is a whole hell of a lot. What is there is good, especially when Io goes on the offensive initially as that is when things really started to gel. Still in the later stages Io was on the defensive a lot, and just as she really built momentum the match clipped ahead again to Arisa in control. Have to disagree about Io getting repetitive. I thought her usual stuff was used a better here the way it was spread out. She also took much more of beating which is different from the assertive wrestler she was in the Nanae and Kimura matches. I think Arisa out-shined Io only in that the match seemed to focus a lot on when she was in control which is kind of odd. That said, this is by far the best I think Arisa has looked since she returned. She seemed a lot more comfortable, and her spots came off much better built with a more natural feel than pretty much everything I have seen from her big matches in JWP the last year. Whats shown here is pretty good, but I really need to see the whole thing to give a real judgement.
http://kdojo.puroresufan.com/
Only English K-Dojo site

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Goonieschoice/index.php?showtopic=2527
This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline Dexx

• View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 25, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the Yuhi vs Takumi match. Takumi seemed more aggressive here, and I liked Yuhi's attitude that she showed a bit during the match. Only real mistake was Takumi's shoulders not being down at the end for the entire 3 count. 

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: January 25, 2014, 07:11:18 PM »
I liked Yuhi/Takumi a decent bit as well. Both looked better than usual.
Only English K-Dojo site

This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline Dexx

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 13, 2014, 05:16:14 PM »
Some thoughts on the Stardom 1/26/14 3rd anniversary show. ( It's on dailymotion)

Koguma vs Yuna
Yuna really needs to work on her strikes. She seems reasonably athletic and she bumped and executed moves pretty well in this match but her strieks just looked really soft and weak. Koguma  is pretty impressive for a rookie and seems to have more intensity than Yuna. Match was okay for what it was I felt it got a little better as it went along.

Act Yasukawa vs Kairi Hojo
I  liked this match quite a bit actually. It was pretty clean and there were some nice counters and exchanges, plus Act's selling of her back was on point and Kairi is always good at displaying emotion. You have to wonder how long Stardom can hold off pulling the trigger on an Act face turn the crowd loves her  and wants to cheer her on.

Io Shirai vs Natsuki Taiyo
Really fun fast paced  match. Both Natsuki and Io were on their A games and brought a lot of fire and athleticism to the match. Io is really an amazing athlete, and I hope Natsuki pulls a Yoneyama and decides to not retire as she is such a great wrestler too.

Offline Suben

• Teenage Wildlife
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 15, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »
Watching the show now and as far as the rookie match goes, yeah Yuna seems like she has the physical tools (i.e. athleticism) but yeah she throws strikes and generally moves around like she's got no confidence. That's an issue that'll hopefully correct itself as she gets more used to things. I'm going to guess that Stardom sees her as a potential top face in the future given that she's attractive and athletic and they've given her the Yuzupon Kick (plus she was the focus of the match but I don't know how much input Stardom has in the editing process). I'm guessing that if she doesn't get injured and progresses well then she's holding the white belt by this time next year.

Koguma looks like she's going to be really good once she's got more experience under her belt.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 15, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »
Just finished the show.

Koguma looked nice. Yuna just lacks confidence. If she fixes that then she should turn out pretty solid within a year.

Yoshiko vs. Takumi was pretty nice. really wish they showed the whole thing.

Nanae/Miho vs. Kimura/AF was decent when they left the comedy behind

Act/Kairi was good. Its easily the best Hojo has looked in Stardom. She brought a much tougher attitude to the table and really asserted herself. She also did a fine job focusing on Act's back which Act did a decent job selling herself. Really dug the finish as it establishes another finisher for Act. its good to see Hojo finally growing.

Io/Natsuki was kind of a spotfest, but a fairly good one with them finding time to let the match breath on occasion and doing an ok job selling save a few moments. It honestly sucks that we finally get something out Natsuki like this only for her to decide to retire now. Really wish she got to hold the belt even if for a short time.
Only English K-Dojo site

Offline Rumbleberry

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 13, 2014, 02:53:21 PM »
Chikayo Nagashima/Meiko Satomura/Sonoko Kato/Tsubasa Kuragaki/Carlos Amano -vs- Jungle Jack (Aja Kong/Ran Yu-Yu/AKINO/Hiroyo Matsumoto/Tomoka Nakagawa) (12/02/2012)

This was in the spirit of those 90s JWP multi-women matches where they start as a kinda singles gauntlet thing before the women all step up onto the apron together and join in the fun.

First the positives; The early Satomura/Kong segment was okay and the Nagashima/Matsumoto was fun. This is the first I've seen of Nagashima since her GAEA days and on this evidence she hasn't lost a step. Matsumoto was a good base for her and they worked a nice brisk pace. Kong looked as brutal as ever and her and Meiko have bunches of chemistry. Amano and AKINO were fine in their portion but I really could do without the comical headbutts, they always take me out of the action. The headbutts looked pretty poor too and, although the unflattering camera angle didn't help things, there was a lot of sloppiness in this match in general . Speaking of which - Nakagawa was quite terrible in this, sloppy, loose and all over the place.

Things go rapidly downhill after the singles period is ditched and all the girls clutter up the ring as they please. It's just a clusterfuck of girls constantly breaking up pins (do all four partners need to break a pin?) and tedious my-turn-your-turn shit. There's never a chance for any tension to build. And it goes on and on and on . . . There's one point 35 minutes in where Meiko seems to have a spark lit underneath her and starts destroying AKINO with an extra sense of urgency like she wants this damn thing to end . . but it goes nowhere, she's quietly snuffed out and disappears into the blur again.

I didn't like this match but I'm glad I watched it. I really want to check out a Nagashima/Matsumoto singles match now (please say they exist) and would like to see more of Kuragaki vs Kong.  But it was nowhere near the level of them old JWP matches as it lacked the focus and good work.

Aja Kong/Sonoko Kato -vs- Ayumi Kurihara/AKINO 08/19/2012
The heavy clipping made it hard to get a full picture of this match but what was shown was fine. Kong and Kato spend the first half of the match dominating their opponents and coming out on top after every flurry. I enjoyed Kong getting the best of Ayumi and AKINO's double team attempts although I HATED that the pair completely no sold Kong's double suplex on them. Why the fuck would you do that? It's shocking how little Kong seems to have aged in twenty years. She's the joshi Dustin Rhodes. When AKINO/Kurihara finally start getting in some offence it turns into a nearfall-fest. I wish AKINO wouldn't do that horrible shining wizard thing. The match seems to continue after the time limit draw for some reason but I had tapped out by that point to be honest, although I did watch the finish and thought it was good. The best thing about this was the crowd which was surprisingly good by modern joshi standards.

Chikayo Nagashima -vs- Hiroyo Matsumoto. (Oz Openweight Title ) 08/19/2012
Well I didn't have to wait long to get my match! There were some major flaws in this - the chairs were unnecessary fluff and Hiroyo's 'fighting spirit' nonsense almost turned me off,  (I don't have a problem with fighting spirit in itself but there's a right way to do it in my eyes. Kobashi getting fired up after an elbow to the face and delivering a backdrop is fine because he continues selling again after the move and once the adrenalines worn off. It feels like a desperate flurry and amps up excitement in a match.  Matsumoto arbitrarily deciding that it's her time to control the match after Nagashima's viscous chair attack just looks fucking stupid, especially without her showing any signs of long term damage after her offensive burst. Makes everything pointless) -  BUT the closing stretch to this was very good. Nagashima's small frame compliments Matsumoto's power very well and there were lots of cool powerbombs, roll ups and reversals. It was a bit my-turn-your turn but they were at least selling fatigue in between moves and building anticipation for the finish. The finish itself was great with a ref bump! and some GREEN MIST! I've only seen a handful of Nagashima matches and I will rectify that because she's looked great here. She actually looks like she's trying to fuck up her opponents which too many of these girls don't. I loved the bit where she was violently rubbing the point of her elbow across Hiroyo's cut forehead. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:18:28 PM by Rumbleberry »

Offline JoshiFanficz

• Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 17, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »
Io vs Natsuki was a fun match, albeit went on for a bit too long and the finish being really overkill, with Io hitting a NASTY moonsault footstomp (after botching the first attempt) which got a big pop from the crowd, then following it with a deadlift german into a Japanese cradle pin. There were still a lot of fun spots, and I'm glad they didn't mess any of them up, given their styles A LOT could've gone wrong in this match.

One of the best Joshi matches this year so far still, and I'm pretty bummed Natsuki is retiring. *gloom
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:24:09 PM by JoshiFanficz »

Offline Rumbleberry

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 24, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »
STARDOM 3/16/14

Yoshiko vs. Natsuki*Taiyo
I really like Yoshiko. I enjoy when she's working on top and in control which is probably why I liked her match against Io so much. I kinda wish she worked more dominant, especially against someone the size of Taiyo. Instead this was a back and forth sprint which isn't really my cup of tea but it was good for that style. I was surprised by Taiyo's stiffness in this match, her head butts in particular were nasty. They built to the finish very well with Yoshiko's failing senton attempts. The gorilla press slam from the top was an awesome spot to set up that final killer senton.

Miho Wakizawa, Hiroyo Matsumoto & Mayu Iwatani (c) vs. Kaori Yoneyama, Kellie Skater & Hatsuhinode Kamen
How has Skater been in Stardom? I remember her and Kana having a shockingly good match on one of the Shimmer shows. I enjoyed her 'rate tank' gimmick too which she sadly (but perhaps necessarily) seems to have abandoned. It was good fun comedy. The comedy in this comedy match was dogshit. Haven't Matsumoto and Yoneyama got better things to be doing? The weird thing is I kinda enjoyed the January match that was in the same vein. (Bonus of it being the only modern Manami Toyata involved match that didn't make me want to claw my eyes out). It just felt like they jumped the shark here. Although, I admit, I DID chuckle at Hiroyo's gang falling flat on their face after the failed piggyback splash.

Kyoko Kimura & Alpha Female (c) vs. Nanae Takahashi & Kairi Hojo
The only thing I remember about this was thinking that Kimura's hair looked odd and wondering whether it was a wig. Alpha Female's such a crap monster.

Act Yasukawa (c) vs. Yuhi
This wasn't great but it was far better than I thought it would be. Both girls still need some honing but show good potential. Act looks kind of awkward and her second rope dive is awful but I can see her exploring the matwork avenue a bit more and she looks promising in that regard. Some of Yuhi's flippity kickkity Tekken shit is too cutesy for my liking but her strikes generally look good. I guess we'll never know whether she would've blossomed into a good worker or not which is a shame. The roll up ending to this was fantastic.

Takumi Iroha vs. Madison Eagles
To bad this was cut to pieces. I like Eagles a good bit and I was curious to see her in this environment. I've never heard of Iroha and I was shocked to see Eagles job here. Isn't she being put against Io down the line?

Io Shirai (c) vs Cheerleader Melissa
The difference in the pacing of the US/gaijin workers can be jarring in the context of these cards. Melissa could make a good bully if she wasn't so terrible at the acting/expression side of the game. Forgettable match with a poor finish. 

Offline Dexx

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 24, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »
Yeah the show was kind of Mediocre

I liked Yuhi vs Act much more than their previous matches. I actually really liked their matwork at the start of the match and was disappointed they went away from that so quickly .

Natuski vs Yoshiko was a really nice hard hitting match match.

I actually liked the tag match a decent amount. I felt that Kairi's selling and intensity were on point. It wasn't anything amazing but it was still solid.

I thought Koguma  was impressive in her match with Yuna. Yuna  on the other hand again looked tentative and not very confident out there and seemed to get lost and forget what to do at certain points Koguma even had to yell her name repeatedly to get her over to the corner to do the next spot.

Offline Suben

• Teenage Wildlife
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: March 24, 2014, 07:19:32 PM »
Iroha is Stardom's pet project to try and hopefully hit that sweet spot of being the cool, boyish woman that girls gravitate too from what I can tell i.e. a 2010s Chigusa Nagayo. It also doesn't particularly work because Chigusa wasn't pushed as Chigusa immediately and Chigusa is also one of the best babyfaces (man or woman) ever and had a natural ability to connect with the crowd and get them eating out of her hand (helped by having one of the best heels ever to work off of). Iroha doesn't really have any of that.

Koguma should really be getting the push over Yuna but, well, Yuna's prettier and it's obvious that Rossy sees her as a potential replacement for the Yuzupons and Bitos of the world as a marketable pretty face so she'll get pushed instead. She's athletic but she has zero confidence and I don't think she's going to improve by wrestling another rookie constantly. This isn't really the old days where you can have rookie vs. rookie stuff repeatedly, she's going to have to go against the vets on a consistent basis. Koguma's almost like her complete opposite: not as pretty but shows way more confidence, fire, her stuff just looks smoother and she seems to have an overall firmer grasp on the basics. I'd really like to see her start teaming with someone like Yoshiko or Act.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 24, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
Koguma probably isn't getting the push more because of her age.

Iroha is solid, but she doesn't have much a personality to carry herself far at the moment, especially with the forced push. Stardom really needs to slow down with her.
Only English K-Dojo site

Offline Rumbleberry

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 25, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »
JWP 9/16/13

Arisa Nakajima vs. Tojuki Leon
I'm still not on board with the Nakajima hype but she looked good in this. In fact it's the best performance of hers I've seen yet and she outshone the veteran. Excellent selling throughout and she's generally good at working from underneath. It's a shame joshi crowds suck these days because with her facial expressions, bumping and body language she'd make a good sympathy garnering face. I liked the from the mat roll through to the double stomp and her knee strikes to Leon's head looked tasty. She has some offensive weakness though as her bridging germans look ugly and she isn't particularly good at hitting dropkicks. Good little match, mind.

Kana vs. Rabbit Miu
This reminded me of some of Sara Del Rey's work in Shimmer in that it's the dominant heel ace in a showcase match against a clearly inferior (both in hierarchy and talent) opponent, asserting themselves as both the top dog and meanest cat in town,  yet also giving their opponent just enough shine to not be a complete squash. Kana and Del Rey are great bullies that do cool stuff so watching them pick apart scrubs is fun fun fun. In fairness Rabbit looked good with the little she got and I enjoyed the cat-and-mouse roll up spot after she avoided Kana's buttocks bump. Not sure if Kana pulling Miu from the mat to stop a pin attempt was necessary, still, - loved this.

Command Bolshoi vs. Hanako Nakamori
This was completely boring until Nakamori started throwing bombs at the end. The match dragged as Command was uninteresting whilst commanding and Nankamori was terrible underneath. 

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:24:21 AM by Rumbleberry »

Offline Rumbleberry

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 05, 2014, 06:51:49 AM »
Nancy Kumi vs Yumi Ikeshita (AJW 11/80)
I thought I'd give this old one a revisit. This is the best match I've seen from the pre-Jaguar Being Great era. It's also one of my favourites. I like everything about it, from the fuzzy lighting and the big windows in the background to Ikeshita's random boxing gimmick and jester tights. She still looks cool as fuck. This is a title tournament match and a time limit draw and is wrestled like both. A good thing because it gives the wrestlers an opportunity to show their skills which AJW booking didn't always allow.  There's some nice matwork to start before Ikeshita targets Kumi's throat and I'm always a sucker for unique body part work.  Is that a corkscrew in Ikeshita's hand? It makes me laugh how the heels put so much effort into hiding a weapon one minute before openly abusing their opponent the next. The inevitable outside brawling is well built to and purposeful for once. Kumi brings Yumi back into the ring from the apron using a butterfly suplex which is a cool spot I don't think I've seen before. Both do a great job of presenting themselves as complete equals throughout the match. Towards the end both girls realise they're at a stalemate and resort to desperate dives from the top. They crash and burn. Both do an excellent job of selling fatigue down the stretch and every move feels like an heroic effort.

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 08, 2014, 01:22:36 PM »
Is that match online anywhere?

Offline Rumbleberry

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 09, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 09, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »
awesome thanks!

Offline Rumbleberry

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 09, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »
Let us know what you think of it.

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 10, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »
I like how every little move they made made sense and had a reason. Nancy's offense wasn't as evolved as Sato or Akagi's but she made up for it with storytelling and emotion. My only complaint is something that 70's joshi in general iggs me with is the kickouts. THey're always weak looking at usually before the 2 count. It kinda takes the drama out for me. But the story they told easily made up for that. The technical wrestling was super good.  Loved almost everything about it.

Here's another good match from a few months later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYEBk0XOzn4
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:39:25 PM by Sabrina the Teenage Cracker »

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 13, 2014, 01:02:25 AM »
Lucy Kayama with a tiger driver in like 1979? Im so done lol

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: April 14, 2014, 07:19:28 AM »
Tomi Aoyama vs Jackie Sato was so amazing. Jackie's technical skills astonish me and Aoyama brought so much energy and athleticism that it made for a really dynamic and heated match. They really matched highs and lows with some fast paced stuff at the beginning, slowing it down in the middle wish submissions and then right back to the heightened speed. It's crazy how right they got it so quickly. Great great match.

Offline Dexx

• View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 01, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »
Io Shirai vs Takumi Iroha Stardom 6/1/14
I was really surprised  with how good this match was. Takumi looked really good her and imo this was her best performance so far. Io was her usual fantastic self and did a great job  bumping and selling for Takumi to make her look like  a strong threat.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 27, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
SHIMMER 43 - Nicole Matthews vs. Davina Rose
Mathews is an arrogant vet who sees Davina being so much beneath her, but Davina shows spirit and manages to force Mathews to really work for her victory. This was probably the best I have seen Matthews look so far (I'm very behind on Shimmer). She showed none of her usual sloppiness, and played well into her character. The match was nice with both women looking good.

SHIMMER 43 - Mercedes Martinez vs. Athena - Started off so well, but towards the end Athena made some bad botches and the double count finish was done the best.

SHIMMER 43 - Portia Perez vs. Serena Deeb
Didn't care for this. Deeb was way too proud of herself in the first half and a bit too lose during most of the match with little she did seemingly having any impact. The finish was decent enough though took a little long to set up.

Only English K-Dojo site

Offline Dexx

• View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 17, 2014, 04:30:41 PM »
Io Shirai vs Meiko Satomura 7-10-14
Really good match imo. There were a couple sloppy spots and botches but the clean parts of the match more than made up for them. Io has had a really great reign. 

The rookie match on the same show however was horrible. The girl with the butt gimmick seems more like an athress than a real wrestler. I don't see her sticking around for too long.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: July 19, 2014, 02:30:07 PM »
Stardom 7/10/14 - Remay Asuka vs. Reo Hazuki
Terrible. Both women have some decent athleticism and show some attitude/personality, but both are very green. They also trying too hard to sell sex with Asuka's character and outfit. Its only going to work against her.

Stardom 7/10/14, No. 1 Contender - Nanae Takahashi vs. Yoshiko vs. Kyoko Kimura vs. Alpha Female
5 of 15 minutes were cut out. Otherwise whats shown is pretty decent with some nice action and Yoshiko seemingly getting the focus.

Stardom 7/10/14, Captain Falls Elimination - Dr. Wagner Jr. (c), Kairi Hojo, & Mayu Iawatani vs. Black Tiger (c) vs. Takumi Iroha, & Koguma
This was mostly a showcase for Wagner and co.. It was nice seeing Iwatani in new gear and trying to show off a bit. I wasn't actually sure who Black Tiger was initially because Takaiwa was actually showing a little personality which is kind of rare for him. It was nice. Koguma was probably the worst looking person here as I think she tried for stuff she wasn't quite ready for. Also I do think they could have played on the elimination rules a bit more. Even with its flaws I did enjoy this one.

Stardom 7/10/14, World of Stardom - Io Shirai (c) vs. Meiko Satomura
The action was plentiful and good. I liked how it ended up so back and forth with neither ever quite maintaining control for too long. Only problems I had was Io probably throwing off the selling of her leg a little early, and the finishing stretch where I think they lost just a bit of stream as it was just a bit rough and maybe a little too slow. Good match overall.
Only English K-Dojo site