Author Topic: Talk about Matches here!!!  (Read 227095 times)

Offline DANgerous K

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
Talk about Matches here!!!
« on: October 04, 2007, 10:11:54 AM »
I know Oni already did a review of this one on the old boards, but I really wanted to do one and seeing as this one is all fresh and that  ;D

Misae Genki & Haruka Matsuo vs. Yoshiko Tamura & Emi Sakura (NEO, 7/16/07 - NEO Tag Team Titles)

This is the most fun modern tag match I've seen in a while and there are a number of reasons for that. 
The first is that there are a number of great story threads that have been going for a while and that all build up to this match and second is that the roles that everybody plays in the match completely come out of that story and help to make the match so much damn fun.

Tamura started out mocking Emi.  She seemed to feel that Emi was becoming something of a joke, spending all her time "playing" around with her Ice Ribbon girls and completely ignoring her own wrestling career.  Tamura was goading Emi and trying to force her into a title match against herself but Emi didn't want to play along.  Tamura even stole the hand made belt from Ice Ribbon and mocked her with that.  She resisted the whole time even right up until the very night of their double titles match.  She looked nervous as hell.  But she stood in the middle of that ring and the crowd chanted her name and hurled a blizzard of orange streamers onto the mat nearly engulfing Emi, almost as if it were a retirement ceremony.  It was a sign of the crowds respect and love.  That night, once that bell rung, she gave Tamura a wrestling lesson and nearly pulled out the "upset" win.  Respect was earned. 
Emi probably thought she was now safe and could go back to the easy life outside of high-end competion but that match had made up Tamura's mind and she had decided Emi wasn't done.  She set her sights on the Neo tag titles and called out Emi to be her partner.  Again Emi begged off and again Tamura, with a little help from Aoi Kizuki, roped Emi in until she couldn't escape.  The new odd couple tag team was forged in the cauldron of competition.

Genki and Matsuo on the other hand is a completely different story.  Despite a number of succesful defences of their titles and spirited performances from Matsuo, Genk had become more and more disiillusioned with her tag team partner.  She just doesn't trust that Matsuo can cut it or be depended upon in the ring and has been treating her accordingly.  And Matsuo just cant understand why with every win Genki seems to respect her less and less.  She won't even shake her hand in victory.

The story of the match completely keys into all of this.
Seeing Emi on the stairs before that match, she again seems nervous as hell, whilst Tamura is as Icy as the blue eyeshadow she always wears.  Emi is ready to be sick while Tamuras just ready to kick some ass!  Emi even has to go behind the curtain to wretch a couple of times before finally getting in the ring. 
Genki and Matsuo come out with Matsuo coming out first and looking back as if to check that Genki is even going to bother coming out.  They stand together but they barely look at each other.  Emi wont even look at the belts when the ref shows them to the wrestlers and the crowd, she's just standing holding the rope looking like she'd rather be anywhere but there.
The match starts and Genki and Matuso rush the challengers and take it to the outside. At one point Genki just drops the thick steel Korauken hall door on Emi.  (Why in god's name would you LET anybody do that to you?)  The match gets back in the ring and it's Emi and Tamura controlling, with a cool double AIIIIICEUU CRUUUUSHHHAAA! spot and then finally the match settling to Tamura and Matsuo.  Matsuo gets a little bit of control and Genki decides to come in and take over.  Genki now is pretty much just gonna do it for her self.  She doesn't need that girly Matsuo Just getting in the way.  Genki is all over Tamura and Emi tries to help but ends up being involved in a funny spot where Genki picks her up and tries to throw her at Tamura but Tamura just dodges, not really caring if Emi eats mat or not.

But you see, Emi is now like the Lioness backed into the corner, defending her cubs (read reputation, or against Genki, perhaps Life) and that little moment has just pissed her off.  Tamura elbows Genki down and then Emi just grabs Tamura, hoists her up and just slams her onto Genki.  Tamuras face is just like " WTF?*  Tamura and Genki keep going at each other with neither getting the upper hand until they both need to tag out.  Tamura does but Genki doesn't. 
At this point Emi and Tamura spot the name of the game.  It's called "beat the s*it out of the big girl and the rest will fall".  Oldest rule of the playground! 
They trade stiff slaps until Emi starts just unloading on Genki.  Genki takes her down but Emi rolls through and starts wailing away again with the slaps.  Have you ever seen the littlest cat in the street just slapping the piss out of the biggest?  Then you know exactly how it looks.  Tamura comes in and Emi points where she wants Genki's prone body, so she can hit some splashes off the ropes. Tamura DDT'S her but it's NOT in the right place and Emi shouts at Tamura to get it right.  Tamura at this point is trying not to laugh in surprise at this ring general she has unleashed.  Words cannot describe.
Soon after Genki makes a dive from the outside to Emi.  The crowd understandably oooohs at the possibility of Emi having to be peeled off the Korauken floor.  Genki go Splat.  Back in the ring the power moves and head explosions start coming out as everybody gets desperate and it rules.  P.S I love seeing Emi do her 420 splash.  It Is Awesome! With a capital AWE.

The flow and story of this match are just special.  The look on Matsuo's face at the end of the match says it all.  If you haven't seen this sucker yet, what are you waiting for?  Go on, go and do it!  Now!
I may drop you on your head

Offline Her Majesty Queen Kori I

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • Joshi Fans
Re: Talk about Matches here!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 10:17:22 AM »
Nice review as always Dan.

You so much as TOUCH kitty's ass, and I'll put a firecracker in your nutsack and blow your balls all over your pants!

Offline DANgerous K

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 10:30:17 AM »
 :) Cheers Kori.  It's nice to do them as I feel like I'm getting some good practice for my creative writing course at the same time! 

It's not procrastination or anything...

Ahem.

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • Joshi Fans
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 10:31:39 AM »
Don't think I haven't forgotten about Ming the Mercel though...
You so much as TOUCH kitty's ass, and I'll put a firecracker in your nutsack and blow your balls all over your pants!

Offline DANgerous K

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 10:37:33 AM »
But I love Ming, I mean AKINO, I mean...

Aw...fudge.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
  • My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 03:46:43 PM »
NEO 7/16/07, NEO Tag titles - Misae Genki & Haruka Matsuo vs. Yoshiko Tamura & Emi Sakura
So yeah, theres pretty much no point after DAN's reviews. The only thing I will say is that I was hoping for Matsuo's and Genki's relationship, or lack thereof, to be a bit more involved than it was. It sucks the Tamura/Sakura did last long as it could have been big. Would have at least like to see a big tag involving them against Hyuga. ***3/4

SUN 8/5/07 - Aja Kong & Kyoko Kimura vs. Hikaru & Sake Maemura & Fuuka
So yeah, pure angle here. It stems from stems from Kimura's loss in a tag match the month before from a SK (Orton/Tenryu). Hikaru tries to go after Kimura from the start, but is thrown out of the ring and poor Saki is left the legal wrestler. REM just dismantle the girl slowly for nearly five minutes while Hikaru isn't allowed to come in before it finally ends with Kimura's boot on Saki's face during a pinfall/pose. Second match has Hikaru seemingly getting revenge for a little bit until Aja kicks hers in the head. From there its downhill for Hikaru as she gets an even worse beating while Fuuka pretty much can do nothing with the ref keeping her out and Toshie attacking her. Hikaru tries hard to survive making some decent kickouts, but its all for naught in the end. Kimura finishes Hikaru off with a big boot and to SKs.
http://kdojo.puroresufan.com/
Only English K-Dojo site

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Goonieschoice/index.php?showtopic=2527
This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline luckycleareyes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 05:39:20 PM »
Misae Genki & Haruka Matsuo vs. Yoshiko Tamura & Emi Sakura (NEO, 7/16/07 - NEO Tag Team Titles

A good part of this match for me is at 25:50 - 26:00 when Emi has to legit ring general Matsuo.  ???

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • Joshi Fans
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 05:51:41 PM »
Why would she need to RG Matsuo?

Offline luckycleareyes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 06:02:22 PM »
I walked right into that one.

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • Joshi Fans
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 06:04:17 PM »
Yes you sure did.

;D

Offline luckycleareyes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 06:40:28 PM »
BUT SHE'S THE CHAMP!  :D

I ask myself the question, "what type of wrestler will Matsuo face" like Noburu posted, yet she's already flash pinned Mita in a defense.

And now she's going against Nakagawa for her next defense this weekend? Good for Nakagawa I guess....  :-\

How is Genki not demanding a title shot?

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • Joshi Fans
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 06:47:02 PM »
Because nobody would buy it if she won unless it was another Mita-esque win?  And that wouldn't make her look strong at all.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 09:03:04 PM »
Was vs. Mita actually a defense? Same with the Nakagawa match?
Only English K-Dojo site

This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 08:20:23 AM »
SUN 7/12/07 - Manami Toyota vs. Saki Maemura
Decent match with Saki really getting to show off by the end. Toyota was quite giving to her. **1/4
Only English K-Dojo site

Offline luckycleareyes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 08:40:22 AM »
Was vs. Mita actually a defense? Same with the Nakagawa match?

I thought Mita was a defense, but I can't find it listed as such now. Nakagawa's is not.

I just feel like the way the whole story has been building that Genki would want to take out her aggravation on Matsuo. I know nobody would believe Matsuo winning, but nobody would believe Matsuo beating Tamura and that happened.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 08:51:04 AM »
I just feel like the way the whole story has been building that Genki would want to take out her aggravation on Matsuo. I know nobody would believe Matsuo winning, but nobody would believe Matsuo beating Tamura and that happened.
Not sure what your talking about here. She already beat Genki before she beat Tamura. They really didn't build to it enough to be meaningful though.

IBUKI 7/16/06, 2/3 Falls - Mario Yoshida vs. Kyoko kImura
For whatever reason I haven't watched this yet despite having for at least six or so months. Anyways, this is such a great match. The two just go all. It feels like Yoshida is trying to rip Kimura's leg off during the first two falls with Kimura wailing in pain constantly. Kimura also gets to show off her awesome mat skills though they still are no match to Mariko's. This was a greta match to put Kimura over n. She took a fine beating and gave almost as good as she got later on. Just a great match that excites all the through if your into matwork. ****1/4
Only English K-Dojo site

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
  • Different Gimmick, Same Pervert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 09:51:40 AM »
are we forgetting that Haruka already beat Misae right after the tag team loss during that run that passed for a build-up of Matsuo?
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • Joshi Fans
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 10:24:39 AM »
Yes we are Oni.

grrrrrr

Offline luckycleareyes

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 10:32:12 AM »
Not sure what your talking about here. She already beat Genki before she beat Tamura. They really didn't build to it enough to be meaningful though.

Probably why I forgot they wrestled on 8/12 and Matsuo won with The Mac. I tend to be stuck in the timeframe of whatever I'm watching more. So I'm still back in July with NEO...

Offline JOSH Chisako

• I Live Here
  • I'm not very tall
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 10:36:36 AM »
I watched both the Tamura/Sakura vs Genki/Matsuo tag and the Hikaru/Saki/Fuuka vs Kimura/Aja massacre.  I don't have too much new to add.  Matsuo was definitely the weak link in that NEO tag.  She comes across as the cute girl who teams with the real worker in tags, not as a champion/ace type.  Sakura was great-this match and the earlier title match vs Tamura have to be the high points of her career.  It's like the combination of the total love from the Ice Ribbon girls and the confidence that Tamura has in Emi push her to a point that she didn't think she could reach.  Hell, at this point I'd rather have seen Emi win the single titles than Matsuo. 

BTW, I'm almost postive that neither the Mita or the Nakagawa matches are title defenses for Haruka.

The SUN match was a slight disappointment as it was too one-sided for my liking, but did its job in getting across everyone's roles.  Kimura is a mean crazy psycho bitch (pinning people by stepping on their face is just classic), Aja is Aja (and this is the mean Aja that wants to humiliate people, not just win matches), and Toshie runs around ringside mouthing off, distracting the ref, and being a general pain in the ass.  Uematsu really makes R.E.M. awesome-the group is more than just big monsters, but have a manipulative, sneaky side as well.  Hikaru is the big brave babyface who takes her beating without resorting to the heel's tactics (even though she probably should), Saki is the hopelessly outclassed little girl, and Fuuka just doesn't know what she's got herself into.  The expressions on her face were priceless.  This isn't JD Star, dear.  Kimura isn't playing pirates anymore and Aja Kong means business! Welcome to the big leagues!
CEE! ARR! YOU! ESS! AITCH!
OH KOO DAH
OH KOO DAH
CHEE SAK KOH
SAH CHEE KOH
(Crush Girls 2008 Remix)

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • Joshi Fans
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 10:39:08 AM »
Nice review Josh.  :)

Offline luckycleareyes

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
...and Fuuka just doesn't know what she's got herself into.  The expressions on her face were priceless.  This isn't JD Star, dear.  Kimura isn't playing pirates anymore and Aja Kong means business! Welcome to the big leagues!

I can't tell what Toshie says to her as they're walking away during the opening press conference, but Fuuka's reaction shows she totally shocked by the whole thing. Nanae is a prankster and loves surprises, hell she didn't even tell Hikaru, Natsuki and Saki about the creation of SUN until she made the general announcement after her Anniversary show. The only people who knew were Z1 President Nakamura, Steve Corino and Nanae.

So I'm betting they didn't tell Fuuka what was going to happen this time either. She looks totally stunned.

Offline DANgerous K

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 10:58:47 AM »
R.E.M really are an awesome heel group aren't they?  The just demolished the sun girls on that show.  Hikaru really knows how to play babyface, her style even seems built around it.
Does anybody else think they should sic "R.E.M Kimura" on Matsuo.  That would get both of them over I reckon.  ;D
Yeah Josh, Fuuka's expression just looks too real to be completely put on.

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • Joshi Fans
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 10:59:54 AM »
Remember the look on Ayumi's face when she realized Nanae was going to be "her" at GAMI's show?

Offline luckycleareyes

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 11:18:01 AM »
Remember the look on Ayumi's face when she realized Nanae was going to be "her" at GAMI's show?

I remember the look on Nanae's face better! She could barely keep from laughing.