Author Topic: The Gaijin Thread  (Read 51458 times)

Offline Coffee

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
    • View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
Re: The Gaijin Thread
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2008, 07:10:58 PM »
steamboat syndrome? is that a good thing or a bad thing?
 *saywhat

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »
It means there's some difficulty going heel credibly because of being face for so long. I've seen Kendrick do it but I don't think I've seen successful heeling from London. I do remember when he cut that promo after he lost the CW title. He was on both Velocity and Smackdown that week; that was like in 2004.

SWIFT made this.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2008, 07:29:07 PM »
oh okay, i don't watch steamboat matches as much as i wanted to

i already posted the gaijin announcement at youtube and i'm checking who among the current wrestlers today would be interested in taking yoshida's offer to learn submission wrestling

*keeps my fingers crossed that lacey enrolls herself to the IBUKI school*

Offline J.H. - Firmly Re-Dedicated to Yoneyama!

• I Live Here
  • ALL HAIL YONEYAMA~!
    • View Profile
    • BRAVE BLOG~!
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2008, 09:24:20 PM »
my lord the thought of Rebecca Knox learning from Mariko Yoshida makes my head spin!

James

Retire At 30?
Kaori Yoneyama Has Only Just Begun To Fight~!

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »
my lord the thought of Rebecca Knox learning from Mariko Yoshida makes my head spin!

James

i have a feeling that TNA saw my vid and might send some of the girls to tokyo for that reason

mio & io vs the beautiful people?
book it!

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2008, 09:50:51 PM »
Why would they view some random vid about a promotion they probably don't even know about?

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2008, 12:51:45 AM »
it's common knowledge that women serious with wrestling go to Japan for further training right?

Offline conchinette

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2008, 01:42:36 AM »
It means there's some difficulty going heel credibly because of being face for so long. I've seen Kendrick do it but I don't think I've seen successful heeling from London. I do remember when he cut that promo after he lost the CW title. He was on both Velocity and Smackdown that week; that was like in 2004.

Brian Kendrick cut a heelish promo on the recent Heat taping after they beat Cade and Murdoch saying that Heat was too small for them and that they were going after the tag team titles.

Offline General HENkada

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • BumpLust
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2008, 07:13:21 AM »
it's common knowledge that women serious with wrestling go to Japan for further training right?
Usually not at the expense of a TV promotion... not to mention the risk of injury and whatnot. If they wanted to go to Japan and "further their training," they would have done it when the opportunity presented itself. Take Gail Kim, for example. She had some down time between her WWE and TNA runs... and she spent it posing topless. Go figure.

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2008, 10:30:16 AM »
Why must we always berate gail kim? Were you not impressed by her match with kong yesterday?

Not all, and in any case I meant I don't think anyone at TNA's even going to know about this offer, or look at any of your videos.

Offline General HENkada

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
    • BumpLust
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »
Why must we always berate gail kim?
Not berating her... just stating a simple fact.
Were you not impressed by her match with kong yesterday?
Nope. Kong continues to impress. Gail, not so much.

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
I've been impressed. Plus she's shown lots of passion with the bumps she's taken. I mean a ladder match and a match with kong all in less than 24 hours is not an easy feat.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
Usually not at the expense of a TV promotion... not to mention the risk of injury and whatnot. If they wanted to go to Japan and "further their training," they would have done it when the opportunity presented itself. Take Gail Kim, for example. She had some down time between her WWE and TNA runs... and she spent it posing topless. Go figure.

*bwah
i didn't think you would have a problem with her posing topless
but i think the TNA crowd is now noticing that roxxi is better than gail hence the monster face pops for roxxi

i'd like to see more of mschif in japan after i watched her match in Hooligan's youtube account
but it seems to me that she's pretty protective of her gimmick

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2008, 04:29:24 PM »

Brian Kendrick cut a heelish promo on the recent Heat taping after they beat Cade and Murdoch saying that Heat was too small for them and that they were going after the tag team titles.

Yeah, I heard about that! *haha
Kendrick is a natural heel and the transition will be fine for him.

That's because who would spend money to go to Japan and risk injury when they can generate easy income?

Not to be mean you guys but I don't think anyone you sent those vids too is actually going to go to Japan. Most women wrestlers DON'T need to go to Japan. Things run differently in North America and it's just unnecessary. Plus, Japan isn't the end-all-be-all for women's' wrestling; there are some places in the states to go and "better" themselves. It really doesn't work the same way in women's' wrestling as it does in mens' wrestling. Realistically a woman does not need the technical prowess of an Alex Shelley to get booked; all she needs is some sex appeal. For this reason, for the right kinds of women, wrestling is easier to "give notice" in than it is for men. Example: a lot of women who are in the WWE or TNA make it in half the time most men do. Supply and demand; and high turnover rate- plus there's just fewer women in the business anyway. Going to Japan to learn submission wrestling isn't worth it or necessary for most N.A women wrestlers.

Example: Gail Kim knows she doesn't need to learn submission wrestling to maintain her popularity; she just needs to keep her good side out there; hence the posing topless.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 04:32:36 PM by Vamp »

SWIFT made this.

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2008, 04:33:23 PM »
I think some will. It's not all about getting on TNA or WWE. Some people just wanna wrestle. I think Ibuki's paying to fly in the girls anyway. I think you're just being really pessimistic about it. And as I said, Mariko Yoshida's a former highflier, so if that's your thing, she can teach it. I mean Chigusa trained Toshie and Chikayo and she's the furthest thing from a highflier.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2008, 04:40:18 PM »
I think some will. It's not all about getting on TNA or WWE. Some people just wanna wrestle. I think Ibuki's paying to fly in the girls anyway. I think you're just being really pessimistic about it. And as I said, Mariko Yoshida's a former highflier, so if that's your thing, she can teach it. I mean Chigusa trained Toshie and Chikayo and she's the furthest thing from a highflier.

Okay if you want to believe that, go ahead. But from a business standpoint it makes no sense especially when some women already have it made in the shade. It's not pessimisim, it's realism because most of these women have lives outside of wrestling, it really isn't needed because this is not Japan- no matter how much you want it to become more like Japan. Hailey Hatred wanted to go to Japan for 4 years but her mother died and she had other family issues plus she just didn't have the money. We'll see but it probably won't be anyone who's already established.

I'd go in a heartbeat, I just don't see why women with patented schticks would go. HEN brought up the Gail Kim thing for a very good reason; if they wanted to go they already would have or at least made the effort.

SWIFT made this.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2008, 04:41:55 PM »
well not everyone anyway wanted to be in either TNA or WWE anyway (no matter how obvious that when it comes to wrestling, they're still the mainstream choice). i remember melissa stripes mentioning in her myspace profile if i'm not mistaken that she preferred going to japan than getting booked at either companies. i wonder if she already knew about the IBUKI openings

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2008, 04:45:39 PM »
send it to her. She's got a lot of potential smd it would be awesome for her. I'm all for more women going to Japan but so far, that's not how things work especially with the bigger names.

SWIFT made this.

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2008, 04:55:11 PM »
Dynamite Girl Jennifer Blake replied saying
"O sweet!!!!! Thanks a lot!
-Jen"

And didn't Haily go?

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »
Yeah but before she went all these things happened in her life; that's point I was trying to make- she wanted to go forever and a day (4 years) but couldn't; people's lives don't always intersect perfectly.

I took awhile.

And I see no reason for Jennifer Blake to go when she's already got so much hype this early on in her career with her hardcore style and her look; with that look where do you think she's wanting to go?

SWIFT made this.

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »
To improve herself. I mean wouldn't you want to be the best wrestler you can be? If you already have the look, you don't have to worry about that, but she probably wants to take it to the next level. She doesn't just wanna have money, she wants to be remembered for having the best matches she can.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2008, 06:57:58 PM »
it's like in the case of melissa and SDR. despite the good hype they've been getting at the US, since they are serious in honing their craft, they went to japan to learn more.

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »
Yeah, plus it's also just about wrestling in Japan. Just getting the chance to wrestle those women alone could heighten your own skill.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2008, 08:21:37 PM »
Yes, the jobbing really helps your skill level.

SWIFT made this.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2008, 07:25:08 AM »
Yes, the jobbing really helps your skill level.

being a jobber doesn't always mean you're getting buried