Author Topic: Joshi General Discussion Thread  (Read 25708 times)

Offline JoshiFanficz

• Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
Joshi General Discussion Thread
« on: July 11, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »
Since the "Comments that don't warrant a thread" thread got deleted, I feel we still need a place for stuff that dosen't pertain to a certain promotion or wrestler, such as produce shows, etc.

I'll get the ball rolling. So, if any of you have been following the recent events surrounding All Japan, you'll know that Mutoh has left the promotion and has taken a chunk of the roster with him to form a new promotion. They'll be reviving the name of WRESTLE-1, which was a shortlived promotion during the mid 00's. What does Joshi have to do with this, you ask? Well, during the recent press conference, Mutoh said that a women's division might be possible.

Personally I'm not sure if this is a good idea, for one the women would obviously not be the main focus and will always be second to the men. And also I have a feeling Mutoh will favour looks over wrestling ability. I can't see women like Meiko being apart of this.

Offline 孤星

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
  • Good friends.
    • View Profile
Re: Joshi General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 09:05:12 AM »
New layout is confusing since the results threads are gone.

SWIFT made this.

Offline FLIK

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »
Personally I'm not sure if this is a good idea, for one the women would obviously not be the main focus and will always be second to the men. And also I have a feeling Mutoh will favour looks over wrestling ability. I can't see women like Meiko being apart of this.

Interesting that you automatically assumed the worst.

Anyways, Mutoh had a handfull of matches involving women a year or 2 ago on All Japan shows. He used Makoto, Cheerleader Melissa, Nanae, Natsuki, Aikawa & 2 actress chicks. Aikawa pinned Kaz Hayashi in the tag match the Stardom crew was in. Ppl can make of that what they will

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:04:51 PM »
He's apparently a big fan of cheerleader melissa and she's obviously a big fan of his even basing her Raisha Saeed character off of his muta one. 

And I don't see why you would automatically go for the most negative rationalizing of what this could mean. I mean he's obviously going to book the top stars being his top guys because they draw more than the Joshi's are at this specific time period. Doesn't mean he won't have the girls do their thing too and maybe even main event. I mean as a feminist to the core I'd prefer to see the women get all the opportunities the men do, but you have to work with the system to change it. Just like Ivory mentioned in her shoots. Yeah she had to play to the puppies fanboys, but at the same time she could work to change their minds about women's wrestling. It's basically what I believe Nanae is doing with STarDom. Bring in the fanboys with your Yuzupons, but then change their minds about women's wrestling when they also see Nanae and Meiko tear the house down. I assume they'll do somethign similar in wrestle-1. Once they show what they can do, they cn start to build towards everything else.

Offline Antonio DAMAN

• Administrator
  • The Resident wrestler of JoshiFans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 02:07:43 AM »
New layout is confusing since the results threads are gone.

Maybe confusing to you, but it was smarter to just combine the news and discussion threads with the results threads... because that's where most of the discussion was happening anyways.

Offline FLIK

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 06:39:37 AM »
Is it just me or is there nothing exciting going on in joshi anymore?

Keeping up with results there's still plenty of "that was probably a good match" moments but then you forget about them a few days later & move on. There's no "Holy crap I can't wait to see this" big events or matches lately though or giant feuds whear you can't wait to see what happens next. Just business as usual for the most part

Closest things of late was maybe the Hotta invasion of JWP but that lasted what a month? And then the weird Arisa turn at Diana never got followed up on and has been forgotten about.

The Kana angle was sorta cool for a while and she's getting the next title shot but she hasn't even freakin been in JWP in 3 months to build it up...

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »
The lack of proper tv is hurting interest.

As far as the Kana angle goes, it feels like it was poorly done. I watched the initial tag which wasn't bad in terms of pushing it, but there wasn't much else there. Kana and Arisa had a random breakdown after a tag draw on Kana's show and a match is set up for August which was damn half a year away. We didn't have Kana actually bitchy with the JWP girls and wrestling them for several months before she finally turned and properly pissed off Arisa.
http://kdojo.puroresufan.com/
Only English K-Dojo site

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Goonieschoice/index.php?showtopic=2527
This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 06:14:16 AM »
I think it was written well but like you said Kana's schedule kinda crapped the angle. They had Arisa bring her in and everyone hate her and her be a cunt back. Arisa wouldn't be able to see this because she was busy with Hotta. But then after Hotta was gone they had to move forward but because of Kana's schedule they had to do all the storyline advancements in like...3 shows. They had a feud between Kana and Kuragaki that went no where because they didn't have proper use of her for more than a show a month if that. They should have followed up Arisa being pinned by Mio with a Triple Tail.S feud with JWP with Mio getting a title shot in July and then going on to feud with Bolshoi since she's Arisa's partner. That way you could ahve some tag matches between all 4 and whatnot.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »
You say that, but was Kana actually so busy or did JWP just not want to pay the proper money to book her so often?
http://kdojo.puroresufan.com/
Only English K-Dojo site

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Goonieschoice/index.php?showtopic=2527
This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline dafalcon

• Neophyte
  • "Courage Without Despair"
    • View Profile
    • Falcon's Joshi Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »
Who is the wrestler known as Benten Musume?  She wears a mask and works for the Osaka promotion.  http://osakajoshi-pro.com/
"The road is better than the inn."  -- Don Quixote

Offline Antonio DAMAN

• Administrator
  • The Resident wrestler of JoshiFans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 07:18:27 AM »
Who is the wrestler known as Benten Musume?  She wears a mask and works for the Osaka promotion.  http://osakajoshi-pro.com/

Benten Musume is played by either Cherry, Apple Miyuki (Mii Hibiscus) or Yumi Ohka, depending on how the card is arranged.  Moeka Haruhi's also spent one match as the character.

Offline dafalcon

• Neophyte
  • "Courage Without Despair"
    • View Profile
    • Falcon's Joshi Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »
Thanks a lot!  The hair would suggest Cherry, Yumi Ohka, or Moeka.  I( assume when you see the double knee braces it's Ohka! I appreciate having my curiosity satisfied.
"The road is better than the inn."  -- Don Quixote

Offline Isole75

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 03:34:13 AM »
I was browsing through the Japanese wikipedia and saw some info about a promotion called "Kyoto Pro Wrestling" (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/京都女子JAPANプロレスリング_ ), which also has (had?) their own womens division. Does anyone know anything about this new promotion (started around 2012 i think).

There were a few women on that wikipage, but the only names that sound familiar are RIE and Fairy Nihonbashi, both from Osaka Womens Pro.

Offline Fanboy

• Sun? What's that?
  • Future World
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »
I was browsing through the Japanese wikipedia and saw some info about a promotion called "Kyoto Pro Wrestling" (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/京都女子JAPANプロレスリング_ ), which also has (had?) their own womens division. Does anyone know anything about this new promotion (started around 2012 i think).

There were a few women on that wikipage, but the only names that sound familiar are RIE and Fairy Nihonbashi, both from Osaka Womens Pro.

Can't really help you, I assume most of them are probably just locals to Kyoto that aren't in the business above and beyond this indy.  RIE is Bad Nurse Nakamura from FMW, who also worked in GAEA and OZ quite a bit in the late 90s/early 2000s.  I know she has helped train Sawako Shimono & Fairy Nipponbashi, along with Nancy Mari from the Nagoya indy.  I think she's the one who works the Police~woman gimmick in Osaka Joshi.
Banner by shupercousin

Sayonara Hiren!

Offline FLIK

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
RIE also works for WAVE behind the sceens helping promote shows

Offline Suben

• Teenage Wildlife
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 12:54:36 AM »
There's an interview with the Funkadactyls on Bleacher Report and this bit's in there about Naomi:

"My favorite Japanese wrestler was Manami Toyota. I watch her matches and I'm in awe," Trinity revealed. Clad in black leather, Toyota was a heroine for young Japanese girls throughout the 1990s. "I consider myself a high-flyer and I like doing things to make the crowd pop and to stand out from the other girls, but when I watch her I'm really amazed by what she does. There are things she can do that to this day I'm still trying to learn how to do."

Apparently she watches a lot of joshi to try and learn. That's goddamn awesome. I already liked her due to both of us being from central Florida and the fact she was a Magic dancer (and the Magic are my favorite team in any sport). I liked that she seemed to "get" wrestling. Now this.

Offline Dexx

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 06:33:45 AM »
There's an interview with the Funkadactyls on Bleacher Report and this bit's in there about Naomi:

"My favorite Japanese wrestler was Manami Toyota. I watch her matches and I'm in awe," Trinity revealed. Clad in black leather, Toyota was a heroine for young Japanese girls throughout the 1990s. "I consider myself a high-flyer and I like doing things to make the crowd pop and to stand out from the other girls, but when I watch her I'm really amazed by what she does. There are things she can do that to this day I'm still trying to learn how to do."

Apparently she watches a lot of joshi to try and learn. That's goddamn awesome. I already liked her due to both of us being from central Florida and the fact she was a Magic dancer (and the Magic are my favorite team in any sport). I liked that she seemed to "get" wrestling. Now this.

It's kind of a shame Naomi is stuck in WWE. It would be interesting to see how good a wrestler with her level of pure athleticism could get with some josh training. 

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 06:10:59 AM »
She's not "stuck" in WWE tho.

SWIFT made this.

Offline Dexx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »
She's not "stuck" in WWE tho.

Perhaps stuck is the wrong word. Let's go with held back. Only getting 2 or 3 minutes for your matches and usually having to work against mediocre or bad talents isn't the best way for someone like Naomi to improve.  Despite that she's been able to look impressive with what little  she's been given.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2bKNqgeryw

Offline nyannyanexpress!

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 02:03:19 AM »
This looks like a good show.

Nagaharu Imai Ring Announcer Memorial Box Office
October 01, 2013
Korakuen Hall

1. Yumi Ohka & Moeka Haruhi vs Kayoko Haruyama & Arisa Nakajima
2. 3 Way Tag Match: Hikaru Shida & Tsukasa Fujimoto vs Shuu Shibutani & Cherry vs Kana & Mio Shirai
3. Memorial Battle Royale:
- Participants: Mariko Yoshida, Shinobu Kandori, Takaco Inoue, Mizuki Endo, Tsubasa Kuragaki, Ranmaru, Ayako Hamada, Sendai Sachiko, DASH Chisako, Sawako Shimono, Rabbit Miu, Emi Sakura
4. Big Japan Pro Wrestling Offer Match: Daisuke Sekimoto & Yoshihito Sasaki & Minoru Tanaka vs Yuji Okabayashi & Shinya Ishikawa & Kazuki Hashimoto
5. Aja Kong & Yumiko Hotta & Mima Shimoda vs Mayumi Ozaki & GAMI & Command Bolshoi
6. Nanae Takahashi & Miho Wakizawa & Natsuki☆Taiyo vs Io Shirai & Yoshiko & Mayu Iwatani
7. Manami Toyota & Kaoru Ito & Tomoko Watanabe vs Jaguar Yokota & Dump Matsumoto & Kyoko Inoue

Offline King of Joshi

• I Live Here
  • Dark Unicorn and Black Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 10:47:11 PM »
On a goddamn Tuesday....

Warning: Comment may be deleted by walking chode.

Offline FLIK

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »

Offline Suben

• Teenage Wildlife
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 04:52:04 PM »
Takashi Matsunaga was voted into the WON Hall of Fame in what was apparently his final year on the ballot. Surprised he didn't go in sooner.

Offline Fanboy

• Sun? What's that?
  • Future World
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 01:45:03 PM »
So out of the ashes of the version of REINA that worked with K-DOJO and was led by Aki Kambayashi (aka Miss Mongol, La Malcriada, Vancouver Cat, etc.), there's a new joshi organization called the World Wrestling Association that will have its first show on December 31.  In addition to Aki, it will feature Bambi, Aoi Ishibashi, Micro, Mayumi Hashiba (formerly known in MMA and Ice Ribbon as Yumiko Inoue), and freelancers including old-school FMW guys.

I'm not sure if the "Indian Strap" match will be serious or comical; Hirota is involved, so a joke deathmatch is possible, especially with shallow pools of mud being part of the match.  The main event is a FMW-esque sounding garbage match.

Info from http://ameblo.jp/ringstars/entry-11704787515.html

World Wrestling Association December 31, 2013
Tokyo Shin-Kiba 1st Ring

1. Indian Strap Deathmatch (w/mud) (?): Aoi Ishibashi vs Sakura Hirota
2. No Ropes Barbed Wire Street Fight Tornado 8 Man Deathmatch: Miss Mongol, Hideki Hosaka, Ricky Fuji, & Atsushi Onita vs Ichiro Yaguchi, Keizo Matsuda, Yuko Miyamoto, & Saburo Inamatsu.

Also: Micro, Mayumi Hashiba, Kanda Manami (?), La Malcriada, Tsubasa Kuragaki, Bambi, others.
Banner by shupercousin

Sayonara Hiren!

Offline luckycleareyes

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »
So out of the ashes of the version of REINA that worked with K-DOJO and was led by Aki Kambayashi (aka Miss Mongol, La Malcriada, Vancouver Cat, etc.),

Vancouver Cat is former JD' Star wrestler Kei Akayama. She's married to MACHO*PUMP (Mr. Cacao) and they run those MASKED MANIA shows together. They also own a small wrestling/lucha store in Nakano Broadway where she runs the counter with her mask on.

World Wrestling Association December 31, 2013
Tokyo Shin-Kiba 1st Ring

This is running against RIBBONMANIA which is at the same time in Korakuen Hall....

BAAAAA-KA!

*yellow