Author Topic: Asian Drama  (Read 41750 times)

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
Re: Asian Drama
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2008, 08:44:31 PM »
why do Korean actresses commit suicide despite being successful?
the other actresses i know of who took their own lives were the lead actresses of the Korean soaps "Attic Cat" and "A Rosy Life"
has life really gone so depressing in Korea now?

Found this concerning Lee Eun-ju's suicide on her Wikipedia profile page.

On the night of February 22, 2005, only a few days after her graduation from Dankook University, Lee committed suicide at her apartment in Bundang, Seongnam. She was 24 years old. She slit her wrists and hanged herself. The family blamed the suicide on severe bouts of depression and mental illness, and said she had been suffering from insomnia due to the nude scenes she had done in The Scarlet Letter.

She left a suicide note scrawled in blood, in which she wrote, "Mom, I am sorry and I love you." A separate note said, "I wanted to do too much. Even though I live, I'm not really alive. I don't want anyone to be disappointed. It's nice having money... I wanted to make money."

Here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Eun_Joo

I didn't realize she died until I found some information about her online after watching "Tae Guk Gi: Brotherhood of War" on DVD. Very sad. She was truly beautiful and died at the young age of 24.

Offline Coffee

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
    • View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2008, 10:40:52 PM »

may she find peace wherever she is now
RIP lee eun-ju

The Grand Inquisiteur

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2008, 10:43:21 PM »
OMG, now we're talking life-threatening mood disorders, here's the deal gang, anytime someone may displays an interest in self harm, or a change in personality (sad, withdrawn, irritable, anxious, tired, indecisive or apathetic), or a behavior, sleep or eating problem and may exhibit a general  low self esteem, it's time to get help.  No joke, suicide is a problem and it takes a toll on the young and it's something that shouldn't be dismissed casually.

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2008, 11:50:52 PM »
My first ever attempt at a DVD review that has nothing at all to do with wrestling. Maybe you will read this and check out the movie yourselves.

UP THE YANGTZE (2007 Documentary)

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the bitterest.
- Confucious

Imagine if the USA decided to flood the Grand Canyon to create one big lake. This is what has been happening in China with the construction of the Three Gorges Dam hydroelectric project, the largest of its kind in the world. First started in 1994, the project will be completed and fully operational by 2011 amid the upheaval of more than 2 million Chinese living along the famous and beautiful Yangtze River, the world's third largest river after the Nile in Africa and the Amazon in South America. One-third of China's population lives along the Yangtze.

Chinese-Canadian documentary filmmaker Yung Chang's award-winning Up the Yangtze paints a very human picture of what the Chinese government considers an economic miracle, the Three Gorges Dam. The film centres around two teenagers as they move on from their daily lives to work on what is billed as a luxury cruise ship, taking Westerners on a "farewell cruise" down the Yangtze before the dam closes and flood waters wash away everything in sight. Yu Shui is a petite 16-year old living with her parents on their tiny riverside farm where planting vegetables and fishing sustained their livelihood where money could not. Yu Shui tells her parents over dinner that she has dreams of going to high school so she will be educated and talented because that is what the new China is demanding, but her parents cannot afford to continue her education and put their eldest daughter's plans on hold. Yu Shui is sent off to work on the cruise ship, reluctantly leaving her family behind. The other teenager is a 19-year old man named Chen Bo Yu, who is a cocky pretty boy, and the son of a local official, with aspirations of making more money working on the ship than his parents make at their own jobs. The final night before leaving for the boat presents opposite ends of the spectrum as Chen Bo Yu celebrates with friends, bragging that he was hired due to his good looks and decent command of English. Meanwhile, Yu Shui is at home angrily lashing out at her parents, who tearfully try to explain that they have no choice but to "exploit" their eldest daughter.

Life working on the "farewell cruise" comes with a price as both Yu Shui and Chen Bo Yu are immediately given English names - "Cindy" and "Jerry." Cindy is miserable, sad, homesick and experiencing quite a culture shock going from peasant poverty on the farm to a corporate business environment catering to wealthy Western tourists where the staff are briefed on what to say and what not to say to the guests. Meanwhile, Cindy's parents are doing all they can to get ready for their relocation from the farm before the flood waters move in. There is something very depressing, heartbreaking and somewhat sickening about locals from along the river working on the luxury ship on its "farewell cruise" taking tourists on a trip to "wave goodbye" to pristine and beautiful ancient lands their families live on and are now being forced to abandon. Jerry is cocky, arrogant and from a middle-class upbringing. He seems eager to shed his lifestyle and become a successful money-making businessman. Two teenagers from two different backgrounds. One story turns out positive and the other negative.

The cinematography is incredible and the dreary dullness paints a rather eerie and haunting picture. The flood waters are visibly rising as the story unfolds while ominous warning signs along the river indicate how high the waters of progress are expected to rise when the time comes (175 metres, for example). We see the agents of propaganda proudly showing off the nice new apartments for the relocated villagers though most will not be able to afford them due to being so poor. There are hints of government corruption and villagers not receiving the money they were promised for assistance during the relocation period. The Yangtze River is not only famous, but it is also truly beautiful, mystical and full of rich history spanning China's entire existence. Sun Yat-sen first proposed a hydroelectric project at Three Gorges in 1919, and Mao Zedong revived the idea in the 1950s. Legend has it that Chairman Mao himself used to swim in the river.

One thing that truly stands out about this particular film is the fact that Yung Chang did not editorialize at all, instead leaving judgment as to whether the project is good or bad up to each individual viewer. As the film comes to a close, the viewer is left with dramatic scenes that won't soon be forgotten, but there's no need to spoil that here. The DVD set comes with several extras, including deleted scenes that run almost like short films, as well as a demo reel from 2006, which features one village's resistance to government attempts to rid them of their land. They also share a special heartfelt message for all the world to see. Up the Yangtze is a beautifully shot yet haunting cinematic experience that gives the viewer a glimpse of the China rarely seen in Western countries at a time of such rapid modernization. The old China is submerged and a new China comes to life. Sacrifice and progress. Whether this is a good or bad thing in the short and long term is a question that will be answered in the years to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2otEv7MI0Dw
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:45:02 PM by Hooligan69 »

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2008, 12:12:23 AM »
thanks, Hooligan, for sharing this with everyone else

OMG, now we're talking life-threatening mood disorders, here's the deal gang, anytime someone may displays an interest in self harm, or a change in personality (sad, withdrawn, irritable, anxious, tired, indecisive or apathetic), or a behavior, sleep or eating problem and may exhibit a general  low self esteem, it's time to get help.  No joke, suicide is a problem and it takes a toll on the young and it's something that shouldn't be dismissed casually.

especially now that this financial crisis is breathing down our necks. almost everyone is getting laid off or simply getting fired, almost everyone is starving and it can really get depressing for people which cause them to go delusional.

as much as i admire Korean actors and actresses for being the best performers in Asia so far, the reason behind great acting talent is what makes it really disturbing. i mean actors must have this massive emotional bank in them that they could play with in order to deliver award-winning performances either on TV or on film but it has started to take a toll on these people that they take their own lives. is this the price Korean entertainment had to pay in order to attain world-class recognition be it in mainstream media or art film circles?

The Grand Inquisiteur

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2008, 09:56:31 PM »

especially now that this financial crisis is breathing down our necks. almost everyone is getting laid off or simply getting fired, almost everyone is starving and it can really get depressing for people which cause them to go delusional.

Yes young lady, the current financial debacle is hitting us all and now is a good time to be conservative with finances.  But I'm betting things will start to turn around by late Feburary or early March of 09.  Keep an eye on the jobs report here in the US, it should flatten in Januray of 09. That will be a good sign that better days are coming.  I can't say of sure, but based on how the governments around the world have responded, I think sooner than later is a good bet.  But for sure, these are hard times!

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »
Is it true that the Hollywood movie "The Uninvited" is a remake of "A Tale of Two Sisters" from Korea?

I bought a copy of "Two Sisters" on DVD though I haven't watched it yet.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2009, 03:31:44 AM »
Is it true that the Hollywood movie "The Uninvited" is a remake of "A Tale of Two Sisters" from Korea?

I bought a copy of "Two Sisters" on DVD though I haven't watched it yet.

yes, although i read somewhere that it went straight to DVD
(good riddance to them)

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2009, 09:02:08 AM »
yes, although i read somewhere that it went straight to DVD
(good riddance to them)

Straight to DVD? I saw a commercial for it during RAW on Monday night.

It's odd that they picked "The Uninvited" as the title for the remake since there is another Korean movie using that name, which is said to have similarities to "Tale of Two Sisters." See the poster below...

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:08:41 PM by Hooligan69 »

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2009, 03:50:27 AM »
it's not that a good of a movie to me, you know
speaking of "The Uninvited", i suddenly remembered one of my new fave Korean actors, park shin yang

released on Philippine television as "Money War", it tells the life of a ruthless moneylender and the woman who often borrowed money from him but but often fails to make the payment upon maturity

i like park shin yang since he has a way of making the audience feel his intensity as an actor by simply looking at him

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2009, 12:33:07 PM »
Kap, your Yoshida sig. banner is fantastic. Love it.

Anyway, did you guys and gals know that the 2009 Hollywood movie "Possession" is a remake of the 2002 Korean movie "Addicted"?? I haven't seen the original, but the remake is going to star Sarah Michelle Geller.

Why does Hollywood have such a fascination with Korean romance movies?

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2009, 06:54:09 PM »
Kap, your Yoshida sig. banner is fantastic. Love it.

Anyway, did you guys and gals know that the 2009 Hollywood movie "Possession" is a remake of the 2002 Korean movie "Addicted"?? I haven't seen the original, but the remake is going to star Sarah Michelle Geller.

Why does Hollywood have such a fascination with Korean romance movies?

because Korean drama blows Hollywood out of the water
i remember reading TIME Magazine one time and one of the writers there on the Entertainment section labeled Korea as "the new Hollywood"
what made Korean drama were the storyline, the lush cinematography and the superb acting

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2009, 07:01:26 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzbwV7on6Q
due to an Indian cast, this can be labeled as Asian drama too
(nice trailer, it might entice me to watch it soon)

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2009, 09:01:30 PM »
The Rebel (2007 Vietnam)

Just watched this on DVD and loved it. Set in 1920s French-occupied Vietnam. Johnny Tri Nguyen is a double agent whose job it is to hunt down rebels and eliminate them, but he meets the rebel leader's beautiful daughter (Veronica Ngo) and rethinks his loyalty to the French occupiers and fights back. Dustin Tri Nguyen has the role of the sadistic captain. This movie features the Vietnamese martial art Vovinam as well. However, this is more than just a martial arts movie as it has a great story to go along with all the fighting. The story really made me despise the French and the sadistic captain. This is the first Vietnamese movie I have watched and it's definitely recommended.

Here is the trailer, in case anyone is interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPhp58otRt0

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »
I just watched Noriko's Dinner Table. It was amazing. It's so off-beat but at the same time is a great reflection of alienated youth in modern society. I won't say anymore, because I don't want to ruin it.

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2009, 01:00:50 PM »
Modern Boy (2008 Korea)

Really enjoyed this. Started out a bit slow, but it got very interesting and even heartbreaking towards the end. The movie is set in 1940s Japan-occupied Korea. Hope to find the DVD release one day. I don't want to spoil it so I won't say much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8D2OwhaODs

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2009, 10:37:18 PM »
Sunny (2008 Korea)

Really good movie set during the Vietnam War in 1971. An average housewife takes a job singing with a consolatory band entertaining Korean troops in order to find her husband who is a soldier. Nothing was going to stop Soon-Yi from seeing her husband again even if it meant risking her life in war zones. Sad and beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL5XWIeIZDU

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »
Not a movie but it's damn dramatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTm2ysfpmoQ

Flying fox of snowy mountain 1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwlwsClcDGw

The TVA version may look cooler but I love Jacky's singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH0vszhy7WY

SWIFT made this.

Offline J.H. - Firmly Re-Dedicated to Yoneyama!

• I Live Here
  • ALL HAIL YONEYAMA~!
    • View Profile
    • BRAVE BLOG~!
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2009, 11:05:28 PM »
Lord how I love Japanese cinema, I mean it gives us stuff like Sukeban Deka aka Yoyo Girl Cop!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccVG_CfPRvI

James

Retire At 30?
Kaori Yoneyama Has Only Just Begun To Fight~!

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »
As a big fan of international cinema, particularly Asian, I often watch movies that require dialogue to be translated to English for subtitles. I can't help but wonder though about the accuracy of subtitles and what may or may not be lost in translation and how that might impact on my understanding of the story being told.

*random pondering*

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2009, 07:20:55 PM »
As a big fan of international cinema, particularly Asian, I often watch movies that require dialogue to be translated to English for subtitles. I can't help but wonder though about the accuracy of subtitles and what may or may not be lost in translation and how that might impact on my understanding of the story being told.

*random pondering*

i agree. whenever i watch some Filipino movies, i notice that not everything that is in the dialogue is subbed. i don't know if it's because subs can be distracting at times that you don't notice the performances in themselves or some character limits exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_HUu_UuwTA
somebody uploaded the full film on youtube, unfortunately it doesn't include subs.

La Visa Loca is about the Filipino obsession of migrating to the United States. Filipinos often perceive the US to be the land of milk and honey, where jobs are easy to come by and money is easy to make in order to send money back home by the bulk. until now that is the perception of most people here about the US so they are willing to line up at the US Embassy in order to get a US Visa.

(some went to the extent of sleeping with the consuls themselves but ... )

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2009, 11:05:18 PM »
A beautiful and powerful scene from the amazing Korean film Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring. There is much to be learned and much to meditate on after watching a movie such as this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKDm2KLACT0
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:26:14 PM by Hooligan69 »

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2009, 11:52:45 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX5USkWyj7A
Ang Babaeng Hinugot sa Aking Tadyang

let me translate the clip:

she's not an angel from heaven
she's not a demure virgin
she's not the kind who'd ask for the moon and the stars
she's the woman that would complete my identity

... the woman plucked out of my rib

further info about this soap
http://www.mcbilly.com/philippines/ang-babaeng-hinugot-sa-aking-tadyang/

actually it just started airing this monday and the plot is so noirish already

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2009, 08:41:56 PM »
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/star/20090227/tel-robin-totoy-bato-dd408b0.html

"Totoy Bato" starring Robin Padilla
a Filipino soap opera about a farmer who became a rebel who later became an MMA fighter
(nice career shifts, huh?)
it is adapted from one of the graphic novels of Carlo J. Caparas which was turned into a movie starring Fernando Poe Jr.
(see attached youtube clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4U3oaBAmoM

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2009, 08:35:13 AM »
I watched the Korean film The Classic last night and thought it was an excellent movie. A wonderful love story. First movie I've had the chance to watch in a while and certainly one of my top favourites from Korea.

One of these days, I will get around to watching the Vengeance trilogy on DVD.