Author Topic: Asian Drama  (Read 40350 times)

Offline 孤星

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
  • Good friends.
    • View Profile
Re: Asian Drama
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »
Next on the agenda: tracking down 90s TVB dramas.

SWIFT made this.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2010, 07:15:25 PM »
last night, i was able to watch on Biography Channel Asia the story of Leslie Cheung
BIO: famous & fabulous - Leslie Cheung (Part 1/5)
BIO: famous & fabulous - Leslie Cheung (Part 2/5)
BIO: famous & fabulous - Leslie Cheung (Part 3/5)
BIO: famous & fabulous - Leslie Cheung (Part 4/5)
BIO: famous & fabulous - Leslie Cheung (Part 5/5)

it was the saddest celebrity story that i know of. if i didn't watch this episode, i wouldn't know how much controversy did the casting create. it's like Leslie Cheung is THE matinee idol of Canto Pop and he's ... doing this androgynous role. and it mentioned that he himself chose his English name Leslie while studying in London claiming he's a fan of Leslie Howard. but Leslie is a unisex name that later in his career gave suspicion to his sexual preference. the Hong Kong media was like, "oh he's accepting gay roles. he must be gay." i was like, "what?" (here in the Philippines, straight actors have no problem taking gay roles since they are secure in their sexuality. it's democracy, you know.)

the latter part of the episode gives you an idea that maybe, just maybe, he's ready to come out of the closet but the way his "Passion" concert series was critically panned (locally, not internationally though), he took it personally. he can't handle the pressure. he jumped off the building so that if ever he changes his mind about suicide, there's no turning back.

RIP Leslie Cheung. Farewell, Our Concubine. May you find peace where you are right now.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2010, 04:15:45 PM »
as promised, a review of the movie "Rosario" (i got to watch it last night at the Gateway Cinema)

i had high expectations of the film although i was disappointed ... in a good way. at some parts the film felt like a glossy indy production due to minimal use of music to think that it was set in the roaring 20's but then again, it's understandable since radio doesn't exist then in prominence then as it happened only more or less than a decade later. and if ever the folks wanted some music, they have to play the gramophone. am i the only one who still find the gramophone cute despite the proliferation of mp3 players? hahaha

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

the film began with a scene from last year's massive flood in which an old man named Jesus (played by Dolphy) was shown trying to save his mother Rosario's pictures from the flood. those pictures were very precious to him since they're the only concrete memories left of her mother. later on, he used these pictures to introduce himself to his mother's family who ejected her from the household due to a crime she committed in the past.

it turned out that his nephew, Manny V. Pangilinan (MVP for short, who never considered himself a half-nephew) had been searching for him too since he was intrigued behind the reason why Jesus' mother and Manny's grandmother was thrown out of the house and was never allowed to return. Jesus' narration of how Rosario lived her life became the meat of the story.

the thing i like most about this film is how Albert Martinez (the film's director) dedicated to the American occupation by showing how some Filipinos were easily influenced by Hollywood despite being under Spanish occupation for 3 centuries. those who didn't find any problems with having the Americans are either economic pragmatists like Rosario's father or liberal minded people like one of the guests at the dinner that Rosario's parents hosted who's a big fan of "Charleston dance". on the other hand, there are traditionalists who didn't like the Americans, claiming that "the Charleston dance" is proof of how immoral are they (i wonder what is that "Charleston dance"). Vicente, the plantation administrator of Rosario's father, is one who recited a poem in Spanish despite the presence of American diplomats among the guests. it infuriated the Americans and left the dinner without saying a word.

Rosario liked Vicente a lot that despite the age difference (she's 18, he's 35), she seduced him into a relationship with her.
(to be concluded ...)

EDIT

My fave film review of Rosario

i admit that i was a little disappointment at the lack of nudity and substantive love scenes ... okay let's call them sex scenes since not all of them are about love. she later on had an affair with her cousin's boyfriend (double betrayal) and was exiled to Hong Kong (when Hong Kong was still a dumping site for the American regime) after she was found with her lover guilty of adultery.

and watching Rosario hear of her sentence while beside Alberto (the lover played by Dennis Trillo) in a gamut of emotions was when i realized how mature has Jennylyn's acting levels has reached. that scene alone has no dialogue yet you need to see her face just to get an idea how confused, embarrassed, shocked and all of those emotions - so to speak she got into a blackhole of emotions and it was very evident on her face. Alberto on the other hand was pissed off big time, perhaps not expecting his fling/tryst to go this awry.

and this is actually what i liked about the film - the ability to convey several emotions at one simply by not saying anything and expressing everything thru their eyes. this is what a film should be - something that needs to be scene to fully understand what's going on. not dialogue-heavy, it's very visual-heavy, if ever i get OD'ed on too much 20's visuals, i will not be complaining. the production's loyalty to the 20's settings and the appropriateness of the scenes to the emotional turmoil going on is such a rarity in films that i watch lately since most movies that i've seen lately depend so much on dialogue, you might as well listen to the lines while doing something else.

this is a must-see film. to see it lose the Best Picture and Best Actress to a VERY mediocre film is an abomination i might not forgive. but then again if i didn't forgive, i'd lose the essence of the story - forgiveness which became very elusive to Rosario down to her dying days. her son to Alberto, Hesus, provided the closure MVP badly needed to in order to heal old wounds and forgive grudges that stayed for about 2 generations. since forgiveness became elusive to Rosario especially when her own daughter rejected her and her husband cursed her, Hesus asked MVP forgiveness in behalf of his mother. it wasn't clear who among Rosario's children became MVP's parent but this film is proof that Rosario's family had forgiven her. if this is seen as a closure that everything she did wrong, it turned out to be a very beautiful film.
 *approve

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 02:50:00 AM by Coffee »

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
  • Different Gimmick, Same Pervert
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2011, 06:56:34 PM »
Started rewatching "Trick"....I had forgotten just how great Yukie Nakama is at what she does.
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2011, 01:21:59 AM »
Mga Nagbabagang Bulaklak(Raging Flowers)

it is not surprising to find this series at a late night slot due to its mature content and sometimes, i can't help but think this is how a storyline might turn out if we convert some characters into women and instead of wrestling, the main bread-and-butter for the main characters would be dancing for primetime.

Star dancer got booted by a better dancer who later on turned out to be a worse replacement attitude-wise. Now that an up-and-coming dancer is threatening her existence as the new star dancer, she's bullying the latter (think Ultimate Warrior trying to bury HHH in a match; think later on of HHH trying to bury [insert name of wrestler] in a match).

of course, some morals are compromised - welcome to the entertainment industry.

the series in itself is FUN, ENJOYABLE and (gasp) REAL. it is rumored to be a loose adaptation of the backstage politics going around in ABS-CBN (it is currently aired in an up-and-coming TV network, tv5), where it shows that even if you have the looks, the talent and the work ethic charisma to make it on TV, you need to suck up a little but not too little that you might remain a backstage dancer for life.

wprobeginner

« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2011, 03:57:35 AM »
A new Japanese drama "Muscle Girl!" which takes up joshi puroresu as the theme just started yesterday.
http://video.fc2.com/content/%E3%83%9E%E3%83%83%E3%82%B9%E3%83%AB%E3%82%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB01/20110420Qr6dGySU/

Hikaru Shida appears in it as a regular, and other wrestlers from Ice Ribbon and JWP as guests.

Story: The President of Shiratori Proresu (Shiro Koshinaka) has passed leaving a 10,000,000 Yen loan, and his daughter Azusa (Yui Ichikawa) is troubled by their rival promotion Aobara-gun trying to acqire thier dojo, and the referee running away bought by them. Azusa mistook a Korean boy for the referee, and asks him the substitute, not knowing he is the superstar Ji-ho Yu (Hong-gi Lee).

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2011, 04:44:36 PM »
Serendipityfs has taken up Muscle Girl as a project, which means it will be subbed into English!   *whee *approve *hee *whee

Everyone throw 22nijuni some reputation points for finding out who was fansubbing it and bringing it to our attention.

Episode 1 is done and posted to megaupload in both SD .avi and HD .mp4 formats...I suggest the .mp4 version if for no other reason than the subtitles are a bit clearer to read in that version, the RAWs are still just taken from TV, so it's not like picture quality is greatly increased or anything, but like I said, the subs are clearer in the .mp4 version. 

You can get episode 1 (and subsequent releases) here: http://serendipityfs.blogspot.com/2011/04/master-post-muscle-girl.html

And serendipity also has a project progress tracker.  Which is a great idea because then grateful users won't continually be asking "when is it going to be done?"  You can find it on the menu bar at the top of the page where it says "Subtitle Status" or you can bookmark this URL:  http://serendipityfs.blogspot.com/2010/08/subtitle-status.html

Episode 2 translation is currently in progress...
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Evan Bourne

« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »
Flower and Snake

... by the time you click the image you'd realize how absurb this pink film is (not that i'm complaining)

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 19, 2011, 03:54:34 AM »
Muscle Girl episode 2 came out a few days ago.

The last like 5 minutes or so is what saved the whole episode.  Seriously...most of it was Ji-Oh being a fucking vag.  Can't wait for ep 3 now, though...
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »
Episodes 3 and 4 of "Muscle Girl!" were released.  3 on Monday, 4 yesterday, and based on their status tracker, they're typesetting episode 5 as we speak.  If they get it out before Friday, they'll be caught up to Japanese release.  I'll post a review once I watch them.
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »
Muscle Girl! Ep 3:

A much better episode than the last one.  This one has more Hikaru Shida in it, but the focus is on the character of Mai, who's Shiratori Pro's Ace.  Seems she has a man problem....no spoilers, but yeah that guy is a problem.  Kimu reveals himself as Ji-Oh to Asuza, who totally knows already because of a newspaper.  And more dastardly deeds being threatened by those evil Aoibana Pro villians.
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

wprobeginner

« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2011, 01:50:36 AM »
Muscle Girl! spin-off events:

JWP already held their 29. May event as "Aobaragun Matsuri (Festival)", and Skull Kyouko (Keiko Koike) appeard.
And now Ice Ribbon is offering an exhibiton match "Ice Ribbon vs Shiratori Pro" on 1. June.

Tsukasa Fujimoto & Makoto vs Kaoru Hoshi (Hikaru Shida) & Big Devil (Saki Akai)

The full event including this match will be aired live on 19 Pro (http://19pro.ne07.jp/).

(Edited)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:43:52 PM by wprobeginner »

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2011, 10:19:45 AM »
lol...RIDE THOSE COATAILS JWP!  RIDE THEM FOR ALL THEIR WORTH!!!!
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »
Muscle Girl! - Episode 4:

Episode starts with Ji-Oh's bed head, a little bit of sexual tension between him and Azusa intertwined with his mommy issues, which isn't weird AT ALL  *umm   

Ji-Oh's music career manager pays off Gohara to get Ji-Oh back and doing his k-pop star thing and after he takes the manager's money, Gohara basically tells him, "you'll get him whenever I get him to you, and you don't want it getting out to the media, so shut up and wait"

Himawari's treachery is revealed while everyone is passing out flyers to help Ji-Oh find his mother, getting Mai alone so Gohara can offer her a spot at Aoibana.  Mai turns him down, and Shiratori's only heel (Himawari being the "Big Devil") jumps ship. After Ji-Oh's mommy issues convinces Azusa to try to talk Himwari into returning, the depths of her treachery are revealed.

Oni's thoughts:

In the ending "next episode" sequences, they show a flash of Himawari wearing what looks like Misaki Ohata's old gear working some corner stomps on Kuragaki...the gear with the laces across the chest that isn't the beer wench gear.  Seems weird that someone that was "Big Devil" and over as Shiratori's heel (based on fan reactions and the overheard talking of a couple fans letting out during their first show after Himawari left) would then be put in gear that screams "I'm a face"

Of all the in-ring action they've shown so far in the series, I think Mai would probably end up being the best worker of the actresses in the show.  The first bit of wrestling this episode was Mai v. Big Devil, and she popped off a really nice looking high kick that had a little snap at the end of it.

They addressed Ji-Oh's being able to speak complex Japanese even though he's a Korean, finally.  I was kinda wondering about that...but I'm a linguistic wonk like that.  Also, me, Ji-Oh and  Takumi (Kamen Rider Faiz) all have something in common:  being nekojita!

Now if only SerendipityFS would hurry up and finish typesetting episodes 5-6 like their status has been saying they've been for the past week...
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2011, 09:57:44 PM »

just last week was the pilot week of one of the much-awaited and must-see (God, i hope i don't sound much like a marketer) TV series that plans to capitalize on the historical fiction genre happening lately in some cable channels (most notably Korean fusion saeguks) = GMA Network's "Amaya"

a lot of folks meeting Filipinos find it amusing that most Filipinos they get in touch with previously have no idea what the Philippines was like prior to the Spanish colonization, perhaps because prior to the Spaniards' arrival, we weren't grouped as 7,107 islands yet.

although during the 1500's (the circa with which this series was set), there were feudal lords who would arrive on the seashore and invade the village that they come across with. this way kingdoms are built and the only things that separate the territories are the seas.

the king (or Rajah) would successfully invade a string of islands only to be told by a captive soothsayer that he turned into a slave that he would cherish victory ... for now until the arrival of one that would topple his regime - a woman born with a snake twin that would reclaim her lost glory at the expense of his vast territories.

you may click the picture below for a better summary

i am actually happy that a television network finally did this. because being Filipino is becoming more and more of a difficult thing to explain to non-Filipinos, not to mention that some westerners have labeled Filipinos as "the least Asian" among the Asians (colonial mentality perhaps).

*approve
finally, a TV series that could help me explain my heritage as a Filipino

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2011, 04:58:08 PM »
That's just stupid, saying that Filipinos are the least Asian.  Granted most of the genealogy now is so suffused with Spanish that from a genetic standpoint that might be TECHNICALLY true, that kind of statement is just plain ignorant to the culture that goes far beyond the days of Spaniard colonization.  Anyways, that looks like an interesting historical series.  Is it in English or Tagalog?

Now onto my review of....

MUSCLE GIRL! - ep 5.

Beautiful Himawari is a failure.  When Himawari (aka Big Devil) left Shiratori Pro to join Aoibana, she wanted to be a face. She wanted to be the one that people cheered for and she was given a shot at being a fan favorite in her Aoibana debut (and yes, she is wearing Misaki Ohata's old gear in this episode...you can tell that it doesn't really fit her.  Huzzah, tight budgets!) 

Too bad she had no idea what to do as a face wrestler.  She stunk it up so bad, they threw shit at her and had to take an intermission to clean up the place!  It was during this intermission that she overheard some marks saying that she was better as the villain in that other place and then Ji Ho tried to convince her to return.  When Himawari was lurking outside the Shiratori dojo, a little boy asked her why Big Devil had left and that he liked Big Devil because she was "cho kakkoi" (really cool) and had made a picture he wanted her to give to Big Devil with her wearing a title belt.  Sure the kid didn't realize that he was talking to Big Devil, and that's what made it so impactful emotionally to her (and stretched disbelief a bit) but by the end of the episode all four members of Shiratori Pro are together again, and it seems that they all approve of Azusa and Ji Ho being a couple.

Oni's Thoughts:

This episode started off kinda down, as to be expected, but my favorite part of this whole episode was Mai, Tsukasa (Who is most known for her role as Akiko in Kamen Rider W) and Kaoru (Hikaru Shida) figuring out who is going to be the villain in Himawari's absence.  They put Kaoru in face paint not unlike Aja Kong's and Mai tried to teach her how to be a heel.  And when Mai also tried to give Tsukasa a new move (the 619) but being Tsukasa, she wasn't very good at it at first, a big fight broke out and Tsukasa had a very "Akiko moment" (all she really needed was a green slipper)

Azusa hunting for a new villain was all kinds of "oh look, it's (insert name here)!"  Play "Name the Joshi" while watching it.

Them making fun of Himawari's Aoibana gimmick made me chuckle a bit...it reminded me of the ribbing us "boys" used to give each other for shit like that.

With the Himawari sub-plot now wrapped up, I suspect that each girl is going to get at least a one episode arc (although 2 would be better) all about them before the series reaches it's blow-off story line, wrapping up Ji Ho's mommy issues and with them winning the Muscle Girl Cup.  The tournament better be more than just one episode or else I'll be pissed.  I just hope that this series goes longer than 9 episodes so everyone's story can be told and the tournament can be done justice.  Maybe I should look it up and see how many episodes this series is scheduled for...
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2012, 12:04:50 AM »
That's just stupid, saying that Filipinos are the least Asian.  Granted most of the genealogy now is so suffused with Spanish that from a genetic standpoint that might be TECHNICALLY true, that kind of statement is just plain ignorant to the culture that goes far beyond the days of Spaniard colonization.  Anyways, that looks like an interesting historical series.  Is it in English or Tagalog?

it's in Tagalog. soon it will be aired in Malaysia with English and Bahasa subtitles

i think i found some episodes that have Eng subs

here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD7veDnkxN4

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2012, 12:11:39 AM »
in the relatively long absence that i took from this forum, i became a contributing writer to a website that features Filipino programs like MMK. in one of their relatively edgy/controversial episodes, i shared my insights thru this article (link is at the title)

======================================

Maalaala Mo Kaya: Cursed Beauty [REVIEW]

glowlad

« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2012, 02:50:12 AM »
Very much enjoying the NHK morning drama, Jun to Ai. It stars the beautiful Natsuna, who I think is the bright emerging talent on Japanese TV.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »
hello, found another good Filipino drama to share (our friends from PinoyExchange.com helped in attaching the English subtitles so this is basically a fan-subbed YouTube account)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUWWolbnExk[/video]

It's the country's first ever gay-themed soap opera. Now before you run to the hills and think of this as an effort to go the "Queer as Folk" route, sorry to disappoint you, guys, but this isn't. The Censors' Board here won't allow man2man kissing on primetime TV even if it is aired almost past 10pm (gay sex scenes are allowed on Rated R films though). But you can feel the love between the men who genuinely love each other. The video link I posted is the pilot episode and once you get hooked to this soap, you'd never let go of this love story.

Enjoy!  *hee