Author Topic: Asian Drama  (Read 39543 times)

windscorpion

Re: Asian Drama
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2009, 05:00:13 AM »
What channel is that soap on?

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2009, 01:33:48 PM »
Yet another Korean actress takes her own life. Tragedies like this seem far too frequent in Korean cinema. :(

Actress Jang Ja-yeon in Apparent Suicide

Actress Jang Ja-yeon was found dead at her home in Seongnam, Gyeonggi Province on Saturday evening in what appears to be suicide. Jang (29) had been appearing in the hugely popular TV drama "Boys Over Flowers" on KBS 2TV.

Police said that Jang's older sister found the actress hanged on stairs to the second floor of her home. She said she called her sister several times but got no answer, so she went to her home to check.

Jang lived with her sister and younger brother since she lost her parents in a car accident about 10 years ago. She made her debut as a commercial model in 2006, and recently took the role of the bad girl harassing heroine Geum Jan-di in "Boys over Flowers." Police believe she committed suicide since her family testified she had been treated for depression for a year and the fact there was no evidence of foul play.

About 250,000 fans visited her website to express their condolences on Saturday and 700,000 on Sunday.

(englishnews@chosun.com )

And also...

Actress Jang Ja-yeon 'Left Suicide Note'

The actress Jang Ja-yeon, who hanged herself last Saturday, left a lengthy suicide note. "Ja-yeon would feel sad if she knew people consider her as a mere depression patient who died without even leaving a will," a friend told the Chosun Ilbo. "I decided to reveal some part of her writing dotted with thumbprints to pay respect to what she had in mind."

But the friend added, "Even though the note includes details of how she has been hurt since she started working in show business to become an actress, I won't reveal it all because that could cause unwitting damage to others."

Jang's friends have been suspicious that the 29-year-old really killed herself due to depression because she had just risen from relative obscurity through the hugely popular TV drama, "Boys over Flowers."

Jang was allegedly distressed over the need to choose an agency, but a representative with her current agency said Sunday, "She wanted to renew the contract with us after it expired, so we were discussing the matter. I canít believe that problems surrounding the agency have driven her to suicide."

A representative at another agency identified as Yu, to whom Jang had reportedly talked about her problems, is believed to have seen the suicide note but has been incommunicado since he wrote on his website, "People in the entertainment world know why she killed herself."

(englishnews@chosun.com )

*gloom
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:35:43 PM by Hooligan69 »

Offline Coffee

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
    • View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2009, 08:37:09 PM »
you know what sucks here? people strive hard to live while folks live her throw life away literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu3hvSmOVNk
this is actually one of francis m's last live interviews and how he fought leukemia is detailed in his blog
http://happybattle.multiply.com

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2009, 10:11:05 PM »
I must admit that "The Classic" is my number one favourite Korean movie so far.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2009, 03:54:06 AM »

"Scaregivers" starring Jose Manalo and Wally Bayola

one of the surprisingly good flicks that i have seen in awhile. my expectations about this flick are quite low since it is slapstick comedy and slapstick comedy is not always funny. but as i have said, it turned out to be good with the comedy not overdone (thank God). and besides with guys like manalo and bayola, comedy is simply effortless

Offline Mr. Kinniku Mike

• I Live Here
  • Team Strong Tits! Uuuuuuuuu!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »

From the SundevilDVD site

Writer/director Ryoo Seung Wan (Arahan) helms the box-office smash Crying Fist, a winning film that centers on two downtrodden men who look to the sport of boxing as a chance to turn their lives around! In one corner, there's Yu Sang Hwan (Ryoo Seung Bum of Arahan and No Manners), a teenage delinquent whose criminal activities finally land him in juvenile hall. While there, Sang Hwan meets a guard who introduces him to the world of boxing, seeing it as an outlet for the young man's anger and disillusionment. In the other corner, there's Kang Tae Shik (Choi Min Sik of Old Boy and Failan), an over-the-hill family man whose marriage is falling apart thanks to some severe financial problems. Once a silver medalist in boxing, Tae Shik returns to the sport to gain additional income, but in a far less heralded way - he walks the streets, offering himself up as a human punching bag for money to anyone who passes by.

This movie is real good IMO.
Some funny scenes from the Tae Shik character.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/​mrkinnikumike
Twitter: mrkinnikumike87

windscorpion

« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2009, 02:25:49 AM »
I finally saw London Caregiver the other day, the steam train was a LOL moment. I think the film makers based their view of England on Harry Potter movies.

Plot was nearly as clunky as Sharon Cuneta's accent.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2009, 03:35:34 AM »
I finally saw London Caregiver the other day, the steam train was a LOL moment. I think the film makers based their view of England on Harry Potter movies.

Plot was nearly as clunky as Sharon Cuneta's accent.

if you're referring to the sharon cuneta movie, then yes i agree with you
and the movie is kinda boring to me

anyway, a Filipino film i find myself looking forward to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDscGxZERnY

it is about a Swiss-educated Filipino chef working in Macau who was dared to cook lechon (or "litson" as the locals spelled it) after his relatives ridiculed him claiming that he is no longer "Filipino". he got so accustomed to European cuisine that his own mother worried that his son is losing his identity.

some parts of the trailer give a glimpse of how lechon is cooked. it also helped that TIME magazine wrote that the best cooked pig is from the Philippines, "Lechon de Cebu"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 04:07:44 AM by kapengmabula »

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2009, 02:22:52 AM »
 *gah
a Filipino director wins the Best Director Award for the movie "Kinatay: The Execution of P"
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/afp/20090524/ten-entertainment-film-festival-cannes-d-1dc2b55.html

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2009, 07:43:38 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z18prjuvkA
Queen of Langkasuka
(it has English subbies)

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2009, 05:33:30 AM »
Grave of the Fireflies (Japan 1988)

A heart-wrenching tale of the plight of a brother and sister living in Kobe, Japan circa World War II. One of the saddest war movies I've ever seen and it also just happened to be animated. Highly recommended.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2009, 11:29:07 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=66C8574E0BF581AE&search_query=jan+dara

Jan Dara

a story of how one man hated his father so much only to end up becoming like him

spoiler: the stepmother looked a little like mayumi ozaki
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:14:46 AM by kapengmabula »

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2009, 01:01:39 AM »
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1846657/michelle_aldana_segurista/

Segurista

a film about a girl who works as an insurance agent by day and a hooker by night. one day, the agency head declared that whoever would reach the Php1million mark would be granted a princely sum enough for him/her to put up her own insurance agency. this is when her night job becomes useful to her

(i would like to dedicate this film to AIG)

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2009, 12:38:49 AM »
Crossing (2008 Korea)

A very powerful and emotional film centering around a North Korean family living in a small coal mining village. Living in extreme poverty, Yong-Soo's wife becomes critically ill and in need of special medicine, which is impossible to come by. Yong-Soo sets off to China to get the medicine, but winds up an unwanted refugee forced into South Korea. When his wife passes away their son is left alone in desperation and with nowhere to go. He sets off to find his father without knowing where or how to find him. Definitely one of my favourite movies of 2008, if not my number one favourite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThXzb4QSMzE

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2009, 12:18:44 AM »
The Scam (2009 Korea)

I really enjoyed this movie despite having a rather limited knowledge of the stock market. An unemployed and self-taught financial investor suddenly hits the jackpot at the cost of disrupting a scam run by gangsters. The gangsters recognize his talent and recruit him to help with their scheme to swindle the stock market of 60 million Won. However, a much larger scam is in the works from within the group. The final hour or so had me anxious to find out who was going to get shafted and who would get away with a whole lot of money. Loved the ending as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZw7uPN9N6Y

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2009, 01:27:11 AM »
i finally watched "Segurista" in full and i understood why it got nominated (or so i was told) for the Academy Awards' Best Foreign Language Film. it's a good drama film without it being melodramatic. and some spectators might have thought that the ashfall-esque environment consisted of props - they're not, they're real but they're no longer there as this film was made in 1995 and the Pinatubo erupted a few years before that; those ashfall landscapes turned out to be a good source of income for the local government i.e. quarrying. back to the film, the soundtrack is a bit tacky but it's okay as it turned out that the club owner is Japanese who can speak decent Tagalog but makes his staff speak Nihonggo as if preparing them for a career in clubbing in Japan. the acting was okay, at least it wasn't overdone. the sex wasn't graphic as the director Tikoy Aguiluz knew that this film is not about sex but about a woman who used sex to sell insurance policies so the sex scenes didn't steal the thunder from the storyline.

i may not like the way the film ended but overall it made sense

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2009, 12:07:35 PM »
Owl and the Sparrow (2007 Vietnam)

The wonderful tale of three rather lonely people in Ho Chi Minh City, a bustling city of 8 million. An unhappy flight attendant, a 10-year old runaway and a young male zookeeper. The story can relate to everyone from rich and poor, young and old, male and female. Everyone at some point in their life has felt alone with nobody to relate to or talk to. "Owl and the Sparrow" is a down to earth if not somewhat cliche story of loneliness, hope and dreams. 10-year old Pham Thi Han, in her film debut, just about steals the show with her amazing performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMhrg0PUK3Q

Joint Security Area (2000 Korea)

Chan-wook Park's political thriller about the deaths of two North Korean soldiers in the JSA area of the DMZ on the North-South border. An investigation attempts to unravel the hidden truth behind what happened. My only gripe would be with the scenes spoken in English as they came off a bit awkward. Excellent movie. Might have to watch it again though because things might get a bit confusing if you miss out on any of the subtitled dialogue. Movies such as JSA are interesting to watch given the current heightened tensions in the Korean peninsula. I heard there will be a Hollywood re-make entitled "Joint Security America," which would be set on the USA-Mexico border. Such a thought makes me cringe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLcjGamf8U

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2009, 03:47:52 AM »
i hear you. doing a remake of JSA without ruffling some feathers from the powers-that-be is tough.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2009, 02:42:44 AM »

Torotot (Destierro)

i watched this movie a few days ago and looking back, the first name to come to my mind was kurt angle ... that is if the Law of Destierro is applicable in America

what is "Destierro"?

if a man caught his wife having sex with someone else and he ends up killing both of them, he will be sentenced to Destierro granted that he was able to prove to the court that he caught them in the act of sex. to be sentenced with Destierro means not going to jail but being barred from the wife's family by at least 25 kilometer radius (maybe includes the kids, i'm not sure). a little unfair since it involved getting away with murder but that's the law for you.

it's a sad movie since it involved killing the very person you loved

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2009, 05:23:45 PM »
Thirst (Korea 2009)

I've finally seen a Korean movie on the big screen at the cinema. Last week, I went to see Park Chan-wook's new vampire flick Thirst not once but twice. Must admit that I loved the movie both times. Certainly one of my favourite vampire movies.

EDIT

Burma VJ: Reporting From A Closed Country (2008)

Powerful and unique documentary about the Burmese peoples struggle for freedom and their failed uprising in Sept. 2007, secretly captured by brave photo and video journalists risking their lives. Recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V08EBWQLzyU
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 01:21:30 AM by Hooligan69 »

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2009, 02:57:27 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXggIFu3V6I

Marian Rivera is the new Darna!
OST by Kamikazee (my fave Tagalog punk rock band)

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2009, 09:47:12 AM »
Lady Snowblood (1973 Japan)

Excellent film. I watched this on DVD the other day and enjoyed every minute of it. Meiko Kaji is brilliant in her role as beautiful young woman on a mission of vengeance for what happened to her parents. Lady Snowblood no doubt inspired Tarantino's Kill Bill movies.

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Cruel Gun Story (1964 Japan)

Directed by Takumi Furukawa, Cruel Gun Story is a thriller about an ex-con fresh out of prison who just can't seem to escape his former lifestyle. He's roped into "one last job" by mobsters when they seek to hijack an armoured car carrying 120 million Yen from the racetrack. But what happens when a successful heist leads to those involved turning on each other and trying to escape with the money themselves? Will Togawa be able to get his cut of the money so he can be with his sister, who is unable to walk after a hit-and-run accident? This is a very good movie with plenty of violence. Definitely recommended viewing for fans of 1960s Japanese cinema.

Offline J.H. - Firmly Re-Dedicated to Yoneyama!

• I Live Here
  • ALL HAIL YONEYAMA~!
    • View Profile
    • BRAVE BLOG~!
« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2009, 09:22:55 AM »
I went on a mini-Japan movie buing spree last month. I picked up The Machine Girl, Aragami and 2ldk. When the worst movie in the bunch is The Machine Girl (which is 10 shades of fun) then you know you made yoursel some quality purchases. Now if only someone would pick-up the rights to High Kick Girl...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8SQZ94jE38

I also found out the Cartoon Network in the Philippines has been airing Kamen Rider KABUTO... dubbed in English no less and they actually do a really solid dub job on it to boot!

James
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 09:24:38 AM by J.H. - His Lordhip Plotting Lady Yoneyama's Ride To Stardom »

Retire At 30?
Kaori Yoneyama Has Only Just Begun To Fight~!

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2009, 02:54:10 AM »

Manila (2009)
starring Piolo Pascual

not the typical stuff i would get from a flick that stars Piolo Pascual (since he's almost a romantic comedy fodder) who wanted another taste of the international film fest scene ... which paid off obviously as this poster shows the Cannes Film Festival logo.

it's pretty obvious that the quiet film is a staple in art film festivals and this film is somewhat quiet (or didn't have much musical score to boot). it's a 2-in-1 film with the first part of the film features the lead character wasting away everything he owned due to a drug dependency (ironically i watched this film the day after jeff hardy got arrested). the second part of the film featured a politician's bodyguard who's own ass-kissing attitude got him into trouble that was so bad, his own employer dropped him on the spot.