Author Topic: Best/Worst Attires  (Read 8104 times)

Offline 孤星

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
  • Good friends.
    • View Profile
Best/Worst Attires
« on: December 09, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »
Who, in your opinion, has consistently had the best attires in joshi?

For me, Akira Hokuto, Manami Toyota and Cuty Suzuki consistently had some of the fanciest attires in the 90s. Azumi Hyuga was the heir to joshi elegance and Arisa put a new generation spin on that elegance. Takako was hit or miss most of the time in the 90swith some of her best attires being worn on the big shows but now everything she wears looks great.

I was never a fan of Hikari Fukuoka's outfits. Jaguar's post 80s white singlet left a lot to be desired but her shiny latex(?) black ones were awesome. Devil Masami had some nice gear in the early 90s before she settled on wearing one thing all the time.

Ozaki's newest all red singlet is $ (the one with the black insets, gromets). Misaki's new attire is adorable but I am a little tired of the sporty shorts-bra top combos in coordinating colors from the new gen, they just seem plain and casual in comparison.

Yoneyama is hit and miss for me some of the time. I like that she stays away from plain looks and plays up the cute. Her marching band outfit is one of my favorites of all time because of how simple yet cute as a box full of kittens it was.

Haruyama wins points for having a theme (orange) and having 90s style elegant outfits. Sachie Abe now wears some of the same style that kind of reminds me of what some of the lower card women in late 90s AJW would wear.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:00:54 AM by Starscream »

SWIFT made this.

Offline shupercousin

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
  • JFW Owner & Booker
    • View Profile
    • Hiroyo Matsumoto English Fansite!
Re: Best/Wost Attires
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:20:27 AM »
All Time Best: Akira Hokto, this is one of my faves:

Contemporary Best: Azumi Hyuga

New Gen Best: Hiroyo Matsumoto - I just love the contrast with the black/white design against the bright orange, fringed with the thin green tassels, just delicious. After learning that it was inspired by eccentric singer UA it seemed even cooler~

Best Tag Team Oufits: LCO

Best Leather Outfit: Devil Masami, those thigh-high boots, garter belt, sigh, I miss her...

Most Iconic Singlet: Hirota Sakura's pink singlet

Most likely crawled out of a trashcan outfit: Most of Nanae's oufits look like she was wearing that velcro thing that Bruno wore and just stumbled around picking up stray straps and frabic pieces....

Most likely to cause eye cancer: Tie between Kana's psychadelic kickpads and one of the crazy floral prints below sporteby Kyoko or Plum:

No.1 Hiroyo Matsumoto English Fansite: http://www.hiroyo-matsumoto.com

Offline JoshiFanficz

• Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
Re: Best/Wost Attires
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 12:22:08 AM »
Favourite 90's outfits:

Favourite 00's outfits:

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
Re: Best/Worst Attires
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 12:30:55 AM »
Eye cancer *haha Plum's floral prints and Kyoko's crazy floral pink and yellow would give me pause, too. I loved Kyoko's iconic pink and yellow and didn't really understand the flowers being there.

LCO always looked slick, even when the went to the yellow/pink theme because they always coordinated or were at least similar enough to show they were a team.

I can't believe I forgot about pink-and-white Kudo, even her more pro-looking snakeskin pink singlet was on par with what the JWP women were wearing.

I also can't believe I forgot about ASARI because her yellow strappy suit is what got me into joshi (fashion) hardcore. On ASARI World they frequently take breaks to showcase her outfits, she had over 100 at the time of that video.

Chikayo Nagashima has great attire, especially when she gets fancy with it and Sonoko Kato's new gear is boss and more flattering.

SWIFT made this.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 12:52:13 AM »
I cannot find the pic of the yellow attire that made me a fan of joshi fashion but I loved Asari's Liger-esque cape with the fur and clear horns on the top.

Ai Fujita had good to great attire during her brief career:

Post JWP Candy Okutsu excluding the long pants outfit she wore in ARSION:

Didn't like it. I also didn't "get" the singlet she wore in JWP.
When she dyed her hair red, she had this awesome singlet with lace inset:

Michiko Ohmukai had tremendous attire once she got going and I'd expect no less from the egoist. She had a rough start

but later on her attire got awesome:

All time favorite attire just because of how scandalous and scant it is:

Hiren is my favorite of the new gen.

The Ozaki gear I was talking about:

Awkwardly from behind:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:01:07 AM by Starscream »

SWIFT made this.

Offline JoshiFanficz

• Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 01:01:39 AM »
ASARI's red & white jumpsuit was very Liger-esque as well.

I really like the attires that Emi and Makoto wear too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:07:08 AM by NikkySan »

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 01:18:05 AM »
I love the bows on Emi's above attire and pretty much all her attire. Even the mono colored stuff she used to wear a couple of years back. I'm glad Makoto's getting a unique look.

SWIFT made this.

tomfox61

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »
Mariko Yoshida's spider queen attire is the best. It is thematically perfect for the wrestling style Yoshida perfected since Arsion. As attractive and picturesque as some of the attire worn by others, none touched the subtlety and integration of wrestler and wrestling style of Yoshida and her costume.

Hokuto's masks, ring robes and theme music were stunning. However, her actual wrestling attire did not match Mariko's.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 01:36:12 PM »
Very true, tomfox. A total package is often more appealing than lace, frills and ruffles. I prefer something eye catching but not too distracting that clearly says who the wrestler is. When people saw Hokuto they knew she was a queen, when they saw Toyota they knew she was a big deal, when they saw Ohmukai they knew she was a fox/egoist supreme and that Cuty was very sweet and pure etc.,

Attire is part of the elusive "star power" package and can't be mailed in, what you wear says a lot because it's part of making an impression. That's what's kinda disheartening about the new gen's insistence on dressing down.

Most likely crawled out of a trashcan outfit: Most of Nanae's oufits look like she was wearing that velcro thing that Bruno wore and just stumbled around picking up stray straps and frabic pieces....

*haha Yeah it does look cobbled together. I get that patchwork style is very trendy in Japan right now but it's not as flattering as attire could be.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:44:53 PM by Starscream »

SWIFT made this.

Offline JoshiFanficz

• Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »

I don't like this outfit from Tamura. It's just OTT and it looks like she forgot to take off her entrance gown. I like Meiko's outfit though.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »
We have similar tastes. Some of Tamura's outfits I like because of the blue theme and flash but some I don't. I've always liked Meiko's commitment to red singlets. Especially this era of ornate red and gold.

SWIFT made this.

Offline shupercousin

• Administrator
  • Sun? What's that?
  • JFW Owner & Booker
    • View Profile
    • Hiroyo Matsumoto English Fansite!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 10:17:52 PM »
Not all of Hokuto's entrance gear were hits also, hard to top the demon mask and wig.

Wasn't a fan of this Beethoven-esque entrance gear:

But who could forget how hawt Hyuga looked in her hardcore outfit:

But it seems that it is part of JWP's tradition of hawt hardcore outfits. Ozaki's hardcore outfits were always super sexy. Arisa's hardcore outfit when facing Yumiko Hotta was nice too~

No.1 Hiroyo Matsumoto English Fansite: http://www.hiroyo-matsumoto.com

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 10:44:42 PM »
Hokuto did get all classical european on us towards the end of her career. *haha
I agree about the sexy hardcore match attire. The "bad girl" side always came out in that type of "unsanctioned" madness. Nakajima's jean skirt outfit was cute, simple but full of attitude.

Even though it was 90s fashion (and as a consequence has aged horribly) Ozaki's cut and ripped tops with tight-in-the-right-places-jeans are quite minx-y. I'm not a fan of her current brawling casual attire most of the time but she always looks good in it. *approve

I liked the MLB shorts and tops she and KAORU wore after they lost to Chiggy and Hirota and what they wore when D-Fix was still new; trashy pleather booty shorts, garters and lace leg warmers.

Speaking of Ozaki, I've mentioned how her '93 match against Toyota is my least favorite of all time. .. .I'd also like to mention that they both managed to wear their worst outfits in that match.

But it is difficult to tell exactly which red outfit Ozaki is in because she had so many similar ones.

SWIFT made this.

Offline JoshiFanficz

• Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 10:46:03 PM »
But who could forget how hawt Hyuga looked in her hardcore outfit:

*Oni* *Oni* *Oni* *Oni*

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 02:09:23 AM »
Chiffon. Toyota was the Queen of Chiffon. Ozaki gets an honorable mention for having chiffon in her actual ring attire. Oh yeah Ohmukai and Fujita also did it off the shoulder style.

Plum Mariko's outfits were like acid on the eyes with their brightness but I noticed that she was one of the first to wear the garter belt/waist cincher combo in singlet form (Baby A did it later). ..with ruffles and tons of neon fabric. Impressive and totally cute. Can't find any pictures of it but I noticed it in last year's Plum Mariko Memorial video package.

SWIFT made this.

Offline JoshiFanficz

• Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 10:53:48 PM »
Reviving this thread. I think Arisa has the best attires in Joshi today.

Her newest attire is bitchin'.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »
I'm a sucker for wrestlers wearing wrestling boots so I think they totally pull the look together.

Can't go wrong with black  lace.

SWIFT made this.

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 08:12:32 PM »
Love long boots. Don't like the top that much. THink it's a tad bit bare.

This gear really grew on me:

Offline FLIK

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »
Seems as good a place as any to mention this since it's been on my mind for a while

Ppl in joshi REALLY need to find some new gear designers. Sick of 75% of the industry having stuff that looks the same as what 15 other ppl are wearing. New school girls especially bad when it comes to this.

Offline 孤星

• Good friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
There's a lot of "female version of what men wear" going on with top/shorts combos that are plain (but it's not as bad as the epidemic of that in western womens' wrestling- which NEVER makes sense to me because women have more fashion options than men- use them!) . But everyone's poorer now so I doubt there's money for the organza extravaganza of the 90s as well as that look having aged. I remember Ayumi not wanting to wear the singlet for I think it was a Toshie battle royal because it was so old fashioned. Since Japan is very fashion conscious that makes sense. It seems like aside from a few people there's been a real struggle finding gear that looks modern AND has flash, personality etc.,

SWIFT made this.

Offline Suben

• Teenage Wildlife
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »
That reminds me that I love Meiko's look. It's a nice throwback in that it's the singlet but with a lot of extra flair in the design to not make it look boring.

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 10:24:03 PM »
There's way too many hand me downs going around. I've seen way too many people wear Rie Tamada's old things. I know it's costly, but at the same time I know a lot of girls can get their marks to make gear. Hiroyo has a super fan that makes all her gear and masks. He's actually a friend of mine so I"m going to ask him about making mine when it comes to that.

Offline Spider Twist

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 06:09:25 PM »
I always liked Toshie Uematsu's attire choices and I enjoy the odd style of Kyoko Kimura. Nobody else really has a look like her in joshi. Yumi Ohka's silver and black is nice, and I am obviously partial to Yoshida and always thought her spider get up with the MMA gloves looked hard. I really never liked or understood Kyoko Inoue's whole outfit, as much as I like her work. I don't even think I should have to mention Hokuto or Nakano, as they were always looking wild and awesome in the 90's. I have always loved Sonoko and her blue outfits. Haven't seen any recent ones though. I agree on Satomura having a great spin on a classic look with her singlets. She comes off very tough and stern but graceful.