Author Topic: All Purpose TNA Knockouts Thread  (Read 392838 times)

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
All Purpose TNA Knockouts Thread
« on: October 23, 2007, 08:14:40 AM »
The new champ has her first interview and carries the belt proudly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPonvw-1qFY

Hope they don't go with Gail vs. Kong at Genesis. It's too early.

Oni Edit:  I figured it would just be best to co-opt this post into a full thread for the Knockouts.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 09:55:21 PM by OniSuiken »

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
  • My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
  • Different Gimmick, Same Pervert
    • View Profile
Re: All Purpose TNA Knockouts Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 07:10:09 PM »
Alright, did anyone else watch the last Impact, with the AmKong v. Angel Williams match, and was annoyed by how it treated? 

In case you didn't watch it (for which I really can't blame you) this is from a show recap by CP Munk over at SSS.  He recaps are more entertaining than the show itself has been lately, and I'm going to quote it to put this into a bit of context for those who didn't see the show.  Right before the Konger match, the Sting/Angle match had the usual TNA clusterfark kind of finish, and this is how CP put it in his recap...

Quote from: CP Munk
Jim Cornette comes out, arguing with the refs and we go to a commercial. Does this mean Cornette, Hebner and the other ref just argued in the ring for four minutes while the TV crowd watched? Weird. Cornette grabs a mic and says he's going to go backstage and review the tape and make a decision. Tenay thinks it's pretty obvious the match was unfair and the decision should be reversed. He gets in Corny's face and says as much. Jim tells Tenay to sit down and shut up. Tenay, who got pooped on with words by Team 3D in his interview, is suddenly indignant that Corny talked to him like that.

Awesome Kong vs Angel Williams up next. Kong is hold a glossy of Gail Kim. Tenay is rendered speechless that Kong found his "girlfriend." What will he use for stimulation when he's in his empty bed with a gun in his mouth? He needs that glossy to get off! Actually, Tenay is still fuming about Corny. He actually gets up and leaves during the match, so during this whole thing, we're distracted by Tenay being a girl about his hurt feelings. Sure, it was a squash, but it was a good match with some good female wrestlers and TNA is trying to boast a respectable women's division where they have actual wrestlers instead of models who are wrestling as they learn how to do it.

By the way, West calling commentary by himself was almost enough for me to turn off the TV. He called one of Kong's moves a "power bomb" when it was more like a facebuster. Or anything but a power bomb, really. Sheer poop, even if it was the only match of the night with a clean finish.

Actually, tenay wasn't rendered speechless, he was busy being a sulkytwat...West would try to get some kind of comment out of Tenay with a question and Tenay would only give a strangled one word answer.

I am so irritated by this, that I myself wrote this in the TNA thread at SSS (except, I corrected my typos and grammatical errors for over here) in response:

So, TNA wants to make an honest go at having a legit women's division...or at least that is what they are claiming.  Instead of calling the "AmKong path of destruction on her way to flattening Gail's ass more than her Korean genetics have already made it" match against Angel Williams, which was in actuality a decent enough match even though you know it's going to be a squash (the only flub being Angel's enzigiri that only reaches AmKong's boob yet Konger still snapped her head like it connected, not that it really mattered, since Konger properly only gave it the bare minimum sell), instead of calling the match and giving the entire division something remotely resembling a push and thus making good on their claim, they instead robbed the match of any significance by having Tenay act like a complete douchebag.

West, to his credit, seemed to genuinely want to bring at least a little bit of attention to the match and what's going on, but of course, Tenay only gives one word answers and meanwhile, I'm sitting at home going "Oh what the fuck, AmKong is being her crazy big girl charismatic self, but the fans who don't know joshi won't be keen to it because tenay's throwing a hissy fit about something that he has no control or say in...brilliant booking fuckhole, just brilliant"

With one show, one match, and one lame-ass bury of a match by announcer antics (all wrapped up into the one match, mind you) I've gone from having hope for the Knockouts thing and looking forward to TNA to see it (since the 3D killing the X Division now makes that other reason I had to watch TNA unbearable) to the point where I'm almost dreading it more than the DivaSearch or being forced to watch ROH with the sound on.

Because I'm getting the distinct impression that now the Knockouts will end up just being something going on in the ring while the announcers put other shit over and that makes me a sad devil

I would really like to see TNA not make this a regular thing and give the next Knockouts match at least a minimal amount of attention.  I would also like to see more of some of the other women that were in that Gauntlet match...maybe a Knockouts tag match or two (with Kong on one team and gail on the other, right before the PPV where they actually square off) but in addition to all of the other fears I have about how it seems that TNA is going to handle the division, I also fear that the only Knockout matches that we're ever going to see until they finally dissolve it, is AmKong squashes...and while us joshi fans might enjoy them, it'll turn the casual fan off if that's all they get.

Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 07:35:25 PM »
Alright, did anyone else watch the last Impact, with the AmKong v. Angel Williams match, and was annoyed by how it treated?

The commentary was horrible for the Kong-Angel match. I enjoyed the match and all, but the commentary made me hit the mute button and I wasn't surprised either. Actually, I had most of Impact on mute while watching the MLS playoffs on Sopcast and only tuned in for the women's match.

I believe the plan is for Kong to squash her opponents, but at the PPV with the gold on the line, Gail Kim will find some way to defeat the monster and retain the belt. Well, this is TNA and I wouldn't be surprised to see Gail lose the gold, which would hurt Gail more than anything else right now.

Let's see what happens with the next round of tapings on Monday and Tuesday. West and Tenay should be replaced by announcers who actually give a toss about wrestling, but those types are few and far between these days.

It's interesting when you realize the 9/27 5-way women's match on Impact gained 200,000 viewers while other segments involving popular male wrestlers lost ratings.

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 07:58:10 PM »
Funny how that happened...women...with workrate...gaining ratings *umm

But they aren't halfnaked tramptron2000 types...it will never draw, right?  Gotta have sluts shake their silicon around because that's the only thing that the demographic will respond to...

Then when the reaslity sets in that there are at least 200,000 people that would rather see women with workrate having a proper go of it, they don't know how to deal with it...can't wrap their heads around it *umm, and so they have to bury it.

Tenay actually knows plenty about wrestling and does give two steaming turds about it, but he's such a blind company man that he'll go with whatever they tell him to, even if deep down he knows that it sucks.  West, on the other hand, I have no clue how he got the job to begin with...he should be doing voiceover work for monster truck adverts, not calling wrestling.

Cornette and raven, I think, would be golden as an announce team, since Raven can do color commentary like a madman (he's always been an awesome talker) and as long as Jim doesn't reflexively go into "show off my knowledge" mode and just calls the match to get what's in front of him over, he's done brilliant work at play-by-play and could easily get the Knockouts over to the fans at home
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 09:15:55 PM »
Why couldn't they have treated talia's match like this instead? That match solidified what we all knew, that talia is a horrible wrestling skank. Angel actually made this a pretty decent match and put actual offense into it. Kong always brings the best out of her opponents and even akira hokuto could not make talia look good.

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 09:29:50 PM »
Talia is useless. Why was she signed again?

Was I the only one who mistakenly thought Angel was legit KO'd by Kong's Uraken?

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 10:01:16 PM »
Looks like the tna crowds are finally realizing what we all realized in her match with mschif....amazing kong is fucking awesome. Like mickie james she's so fucking awesome that she gets standing ovations even though she's a heel.

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 12:23:52 AM »
Like Mickie james she's so fucking awesome that she gets standing ovations even though she's a heel.
Mickie doesn't get anything close to resembling standing ovations. 
http://kdojo.puroresufan.com/
Only English K-Dojo site

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Goonieschoice/index.php?showtopic=2527
This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 12:30:49 AM »
The commentary was horrible for the Kong-Angel match. I enjoyed the match and all, but the commentary made me hit the mute button and I wasn't surprised either. Actually, I had most of Impact on mute while watching the MLS playoffs on Sopcast and only tuned in for the women's match.

Let's see what happens with the next round of tapings on Monday and Tuesday. West and Tenay should be replaced by announcers who actually give a toss about wrestling, but those types are few and far between these days.

west and tenay had always been annoying. i dont know who popularized the screaming style of wrestling commentary. it becomes exaggerated at times especially when there isnt anything special in the match going on.

Funny how that happened...women...with workrate...gaining ratings *umm

But they aren't halfnaked tramptron2000 types...it will never draw, right?  Gotta have sluts shake their silicon around because that's the only thing that the demographic will respond to...

Then when the reaslity sets in that there are at least 200,000 people that would rather see women with workrate having a proper go of it, they don't know how to deal with it...can't wrap their heads around it *umm, and so they have to bury it.

i suddenly remembered when i watched some SHIMMER vids. some boys were yelling "show your tits!"
 *fu
what more if it's in the WWE?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 12:34:17 AM by kapengmabula »

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 12:48:43 AM »
Mickie doesn't get anything close to resembling standing ovations.

not now, for sure, but right at the end of her program with Trish she was actually getting heel pop, but who cares about Divas really..they'll only have 2-3 that can actually work at any one time and then find a Playboy magazine aspiring bimbo type that'll train up a bit and get pushed to the moon until her spread (take that in every meaning possible please) and then one way or another end up leaving.

Part of the reason why I've been so keyed up over the TNA Knockouts thing...because on paper, it seems that TNA is wanting to do a women's division properly.  God knows that because it's TNA and they're already showing the signs of mucking up a good thing, that it going to go down as a good idea that just didn't pan out like they thought it would....like giving Angle creative control. *umm *tantrum

Quote from: kapengmabula
i suddenly remembered when i watched some SHIMMER vids. some boys were yelling "show your tits!"

Sadly, that's always going to happen if the workers are even remotely attractive.  Boys being boys and at a wrestling show, probably drunk boys as well (if someone would try to grope Akira, you know they're drunk because only a drunk would think he could get away with it) something I think a bunch of us internet fans forget is that for the most part, a majority of the fans at indy shows aren't smart fans, or smarks even (unless you count ROH fans...I think you have to be a smark before they let you in the door...I bet they even check to make sure you have your offical ROHbot ID too) but either white trash types, or the rabid "sports entertainment" fan that wants to get as much wrestling viewing in as he can so when he sees the flyer for the show, he's going to go.

And when that kind of fan sees a woman wrestling, depending on age, he's going to think of two things:
1.  women shouldn't be wrestling at all, Moolah is the exception (for the old)
2.  why aren't they naked, this is boring, show off your tits

And I've seen it happen at far too many indy shows where unless the girls open the match with some kind of insane mind-blowing spot, they get the cat-calls and the boring chants before the match psychology get even get established.

And it makes me  *barf
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 01:13:50 AM »
not now, for sure, but right at the end of her program with Trish she was actually getting heel pop,
Not really (heel pop wise at least). Everyone was into her because she was a psycho lesbian who wanted the hottest diva in WWE at the time. She was striving for every male fan's dream, how could she not be over? 
Only English K-Dojo site

This is suggested watching for any promotion in the world in 09. Add to it please.

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 01:41:15 AM »
Do you really think that if she couldn't work her way out of a wet paper bag that she still would have gotten as over?  I'd like to give the butts-in-the-seats a little more credit than that.

Maybe I should create a "Divas that can actually work discussion" thread as well...I didn't at first because I thought it would end up below the fold in a couple of days because really, since there really isn't that much to talk about.

Anyone know who Kong's squashing next week, or if maybe we'll get to see anyone other than her in a match any time soon?
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Offline Eivion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 01:55:10 AM »
Do you really think that if she couldn't work her way out of a wet paper bag that she still would have gotten as over?  I'd like to give the butts-in-the-seats a little more credit than that.
It was the angles that got over her. Whether or not she could have kept it up if she sucked in the ring is questionable. Can't answer one way or another since there hasn't bee a similar angle run with a shitty wrestler. I will say that up till that point Mickie wasn't overly impressive though.
Only English K-Dojo site

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 04:55:21 AM »
BURNING ISSUES: IS AWESOME KONG POISED FOR DOMINATION?
By Gerry Strauss

Since TNA’s beginnings, we have showcased the most talented, athletic… and yes, hottest women on TV today. From Ms. Brooks to Jackie Moore to Christy Hemme, our “Knockouts” live up to their billing in more ways than one. No matter the match-up, no matter the situation, TNA fans (and the Knockouts themselves) were always guaranteed a fast-paced, athletic encounter between some of the sexiest women in wrestling. With the inception of a “Knockouts” Champion and a planned influx of a new generation of ladies, the wrestling world anticipated things to get even hotter.

Then came Awesome Kong.

More than six feet tall. Over 270 pounds. Kong isn’t just physical…she’s physically dominant, and the announcement of her impending arrival in TNA sent shockwaves throughout the company, the fans, and the rest of the now-wary Knockouts. Even scarier, she would be part of the 10-woman gauntlet match for the Women’s Championship at TNA’s biggest event ever, “Bound For Glory.”

Before we got to the pay-per-view event of the year, however, Kong was slated to make her debut on the October 11th edition of “iMPACT.” Her opponent: Gail Kim, the popular dynamo whom many had previously favored to emerge as the first “Knockouts” Champion. Unfortunately for Kim, when the bell sounded, the reputation of Awesome Kong became all too real. Pure, brute strength and unstoppable size allowed the newcomer to physically dissect Gail, whose spurts of quickness would only allow her to take the advantage for brief moments in time. In the end, a monstrous sitout powerbomb spelled the end for Kim, and the message was clear: Kong had arrived.

The highly anticipated “Bound For Glory” was finally upon us, and ten women walked into the historic Championship gauntlet match seeking their date with destiny. However, how could any woman hope to eliminate Awesome Kong? Was she poised to plow through the competition en route to realizing her quest to become “Knockouts” Champ?

As it turns out, one woman could not eliminate Kong. Heck, two women couldn’t get the job done either. In the end, it took three ladies, led by Gail Kim, to lift the Awesome one over the top rope to the floor, ending her participation in the match, but not erasing the impression that she made. With the mastodon taken out of the equation, a fired-up Kim outlasted the masses, finally pinning Roxxi Laveaux to realize her dream and capture the gold.

So that’s the story, right? Hardworking, popular girl makes good, wins the gold, and rides off into the sunset, defending her championship against all comers during what is sure to be a long and illustrious title reign.

Not so fast.

You see, although unsuccessful at “Bound For Glory”, Awesome Kong isn’t going anywhere. On the contrary, sources claim that her defeat in that match has only made her more intense, more aggressive, and more dangerous. Ask Talia Madison, the unfortunate “Knockout” assigned to face Kong on “iMPACT” just days after “Bound For Glory”, only to be beaten to a pulp in the most one-sided women’s match in TNA history. Watching that match certainly must have brought back some ugly memories for Gail Kim, whose own encounter with Kong is certainly still fresh in her mind.

So as Kong continues to plow her way through the competition, the question is inevitable: is she targeting Gail Kim and the “Knockouts” Championship, and if so, will we simply see a repeat of the first time these two collided? With the gold around her waist, Kim may be more confident than ever, but does even she (or anyone, for that matter) actually stand a chance against the most imposing female in wrestling? If not, Awesome Kong may be on her way to the top of the “Knockouts” mountain, and this time, there won’t be any way to stop her.

http://www.tnawrestling.com

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »
So basically what they're saying is that every knockouts match will be Konger killing a girl of the week.

I hope they don't over-book that way, or else the fans'll lose interest.
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 01:53:57 PM »
So basically what they're saying is that every knockouts match will be Konger killing a girl of the week.

And does that also mean zero airtime on Impact for the champion Gail Kim until Genesis? If that's the case, I will stick to watching soccer and TNA take a flying leap off a cliff.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 02:12:20 PM by Hooligan69 »

Offline General HENkada

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 05:16:43 PM »
This is TNA we're talking about, right?

Offline His Majesty King Maxpower I

• Administrator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
    • No Brand Wrestling - Efed
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 05:29:16 PM »
This is TNA we're talking about, right?
Maybe it's the Twilight Zone version? Where TNA is actaully suceeding and interesting. :)

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 02:51:56 AM »
knowing the kind of treatment TNA gave monty brown and samoa joe, i expect AmKong to suffer the same
("be a good boy. see the opportunities we're giving you in order to get the belt? that title shot is in the bag?")

these men are always ALWAYS given the title shot then pull the rug beneath them and say "i think it would do the ratings better if we push the x-wwe talents instead. they're marquee names right?"

AmKong was able to win both the NWA and AWA titles
wrestlers with colorful championship histories outside TNA are often treated like crap in TNA anyway
so my hopes are down on AmKong getting the belt

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 03:18:27 PM »
There's actually a tag match on youtube that has gail kim against mayumi ozaki.
BTW I know this is tna but I was just thinking how great victoria would be in the early 90's joshi.

Offline Hooligan69

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Gail Kim/Josseline vs. Mayumi Ozaki/Miss Janeth took place at an event in South Korea. The match was fun and all but far too short for my liking.

On Impact this week...

Awesome Kong vs. Christy Hemme
Gail Kim/Samoa Joe vs. Ms. Brooks/Robert Roode

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 10:31:40 AM by Hooligan69 »

• Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 05:26:42 AM »
YEah and rain starts going crazy and starts screaming when when samoa joe get the upperhand during an aftermatch brawl. So security takes her out and roode gets the upperhand

Offline Coffee

• View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 03:03:22 PM »
by the way, it was talked about on other sites that samoa joe is not renewing his contract with TNA come May

Offline General HENkada

• Sun? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 08:06:55 PM »
by the way, it was talked about on other sites that samoa joe is not renewing his contract with TNA come May
That's quite a ways off. If that newz is true, he'd be kind of stupid to reveal it this far in advance. A lot of jobbing and burial can take place between now and May. Generally, people wait until the last minute and just reject the offer. Joe is apparently pretty active and open on his MySpace. If it's an accurate report, he's likely posted it there.

Offline Sakebito_ONI

• DOUBLE ONIS FTW!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 08:28:39 PM »
On Impact this week...

Awesome Kong vs. Christy Hemme

I have soooooo been waiting for that squash to happen.  Flatten the crusty one, AmKong!

And to think, I used to have a minor crush on Hemme (my other female weakness is redheads, I put that to being Irish) but that is no more.
Shupercousin KAKKOI!

]