Author Topic: Akira Hokuto (Bow Down to the Dangerous Queen)  (Read 135764 times)

Offline Suben

• Teenage Wildlife
    • View Profile
Re: Akira Hokuto (Bow Down to the Dangerous Queen)
« Reply #775 on: June 07, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
WWE also had her as one of the top 10 wrestlers to never wrestle in the WWE on their website.

Offline SGL35

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 08, 2013, 12:51:39 PM »
I have nothing against New Jack, but why is he higher than Hokuto in the rank ?

Offline LeeRoggy

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 10, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »
WWE also had her as one of the top 10 wrestlers to never wrestle in the WWE on their website.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/classic-lists/10-greatest-never-in-wwe/page-3

I have nothing against New Jack, but why is he higher than Hokuto in the rank ?

I could argue she should be as high as fourth on the list they provided.  VAMPIRO?????  Some that come to mind that are not on this list:

Pretty Sure:

Tim 'Mr. Wrestling' Woods
Ron Wright
Ron Fuller

Not sure:

Lou Thesz
Rip Hawk
Bob Roop

Offline Suben

• Teenage Wildlife
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 10, 2013, 05:30:43 PM »
It's mainly done based on how much the average WWE fan would know them really. The fact Hokuto's even on that list at all when they could've gone with the other half of that couple who arguably had a much stronger run in America is pretty cool regardless.

Offline LeeRoggy

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 11, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »
It's mainly done based on how much the average WWE fan would know them really. The fact Hokuto's even on that list at all when they could've gone with the other half of that couple who arguably had a much stronger run in America is pretty cool regardless.

I'm not sure Kensuke would have qualified for the list.  WWE was pretty tight with their definition of who didn't perform on their cards.  Kensuke probably 'worked' for WWE when he teamed with Hawk as Power Warrior on joint WWE-All Japan cards.  He certainly deserved higher billing than some of those named if he did qualify.  Hard to say.

Same thing could be said about Jaguar Yokota.  Does her working against Wendy Richter in Japan when the WWWF women were touring Japan count?  Defending the AJW title against Wendy means 'working' for WWWF?  Such a tough call when reviewing this list.  At least Hokuto clearly never worked a WWE card or worked against a touring WWE wrestler.

Seems like WWE was trying to spread the wealth a little and include other regions besides Japan on this list.  Someone like Billy Robinson probably appeared once or twice in his entire career in WWE.  Same with an Otto Wanz.  But that disqualifies them.  Imagine if Ric Flair had stayed in NWA/WCW the whole time but was disqualified from the list because of his 2 MSG appearances early in his career when he beat two jobbers?

Hard to know how they really put together the list.

At least Hokuto made it; I'd have thrown a fit is she didn't!

Offline FLIK

• I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: June 11, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »
Hard to know how they really put together the list.

Did they work WCW or ECW between the late 80's and early 00's?
Were they a big name or memorable gimmick?
Have a lot of ppl always wondered what if?

That appears to be it.

Really though, it's just a random silly list on WWE's website that was probably put together by some intern. Doesn't matter too much.

Offline Suben

• Teenage Wildlife
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 13, 2013, 09:25:29 PM »
I think my only real problem with her inclusion was that they called AJW "All Japan Wrestling" which is SLIGHTLY better than years ago in Madusa's Where Are They Now? feature where they referred to it as "All Japan Pro Wrestling's women's division".

OTOH it did remind me that Dangerous Queen is one of the greatest nicknames of all time.

Mr Butternut Squash

« Reply #782 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:58 PM »
Absolutely magnetic performer. I only love Flair more. I'll gush about her more when I get the time.

Does anybody know the story behind this Hokuto film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-oyjQ9WCw

Has some interesting moments including Hokuto getting pain injections in the bum and a tag match where Mima Shimoda is crying her eyes out. I'm guessing it's detailing her departure from AJW?

Offline Sabrina the Teenage Cracker

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
  • Prowrestler
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 20, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »
Detailing her trip to Korea, don't think it was any more than that. They just added a few matches from her 95 run.

Offline LeeRoggy

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 24, 2013, 05:22:14 AM »
Absolutely magnetic performer. I only love Flair more. I'll gush about her more when I get the time.

Does anybody know the story behind this Hokuto film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-oyjQ9WCw

Has some interesting moments including Hokuto getting pain injections in the bum and a tag match where Mima Shimoda is crying her eyes out. I'm guessing it's detailing her departure from AJW?

This was a documentary made on her when she traveled to North Korea as part of the Antonio Inoki-promoted Peace Festival in 1995 I believe.  There is a lot of info on this trip from an American perspective in Ric Flair's autobiography and I think Eric Bischoff covers it too in his.  The fascinating thing about this documentary is that it gives a lot of insight into a North Korean environment that has been pretty much off-limits to many western media.  I'm really surprised that the North Korean government allowed so much of this to be filmed given how paranoid of the outside they are.

Hokuto was pretty much finishing up with AJW at this point but they had nothing to do with this documentary.

Mr Butternut Squash

« Reply #785 on: June 25, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »
Alright, thanks chaps.

Offline Coffee

• My Name is Kapeng or ELPS
    • View Profile
    • channel kapengmabula
« Reply #786 on: July 28, 2013, 09:17:52 PM »
Up for the Dangerous Queen  *approve

Offline 22nijuni

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 20, 2013, 02:03:17 AM »

This was a documentary made on her when she traveled to North Korea as part of the Antonio Inoki-promoted Peace Festival in 1995 I believe.  There is a lot of info on this trip from an American perspective in Ric Flair's autobiography and I think Eric Bischoff covers it too in his.  The fascinating thing about this documentary is that it gives a lot of insight into a North Korean environment that has been pretty much off-limits to many western media.  I'm really surprised that the North Korean government allowed so much of this to be filmed given how paranoid of the outside they are.

Hokuto was pretty much finishing up with AJW at this point but they had nothing to do with this documentary.

It was a home video release that had the documentary and the 2 matches she had in N. Korea for the Peace Festival.
Favorite Wrestlers
1. Act Yasukawa
2. Kairi Hojo
3. Io Shirai

Offline mattw1970

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 21, 2014, 12:15:37 PM »

Does anyone have a best of Akira Hokuto dvd set I could get copies of ?  i'm a huge fan of  hers and would  love a comp set!

Please PM me if you can help me out. thanks

Matt